harrington brooks

Options
ukboy
ukboy Posts: 47 Forumite
Hi all does anyone know of this company and if so i know you pay a fee to them but honestly are they any good at consolidation and can they prevent my credit companies freezing interest on my accounts,just about to sign credit control agreement thats all thanks for your help !!
ukboy

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    i know you pay a fee to them

Why - if you are in debt - would you want to give someone money you can't really afford, when they are only going to do something you could do for yourself?

Why? What is it they are going to do?
    but honestly are they any good at consolidation

Only as good as your credit record. And if that's poor, they'll be getting you a loan from a "sub-prime" lender at an extortionate amount of interest. So .. you pay them to get you an expensive loan .. then you pay again, as the loan is expensive
    and can they prevent my credit companies freezing interest on my accounts,just about to sign credit control agreement thats all thanks for your help  !!

Hang on ... your creditors are going to freeze the interest and you wonder if Harrington Brooks can prevent this? They probably can, if there's money in it for them.

If you want our help / suggestions, please post details of your situation.

As for Harrington Brooks .. there's only so much they can do. And you can probably achieve the same yourself, for free.

For debt advice have a look here or post back with more details

https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • ukboy
    ukboy Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    sorry i meant that they can freeze my interest i jst got into so much cr*p i didnt know where else to turn i talked to my sister about them and she referred me to them as she is also a client of their's i know it sounds idiotic but i pay them a fee to take total control of the debt i.e. they talk to all the crediters agree a fee try to force them to freeze all interest and charges whilst i am able to just pay a reduced fee than what i was paying before and just generally take over all the duties from me,the main thing which pushed me into doing it was by me missing a £10 direct debit and being charged £140 by my bank thus busting through my overdraft and having no money left in my account.
    ukboy
  • UKShop
    UKShop Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I do know a couple of people who are currently 'with' Harrington Brooks, and from what I've heard they are quite pleasant to deal with (as far as debt management companies go!).

What they do is look at your income v expenditure and your level of debt, you agree to give them whatever is leftover after your expenses.

i.e. £1000 salary - £500 expens., you hand them the remaining £500.

They then split that £500 between your creditors (minus their own admin fee) in proportion to your debt, ie if an Egg loan is 50% of your total debt, they will pass £250 onto Egg each month.

The benefit of using a service like H.B. is that they do all the talking to your creditors etc.

My own knowledge is that they are quite good at getting creditors to freeze interest.

Despite what I've said above though, you can do all this yourself as has been mentioned, therefor saving the admin fee meaning you'd be able to pay your creditors more each month.

I guess a debt management company can help relieve some of the stress, but it's not a quick fix. However, I personally believe that creditors are more likely to listen to a d.m.c. then an individual (who they would probably try to use scare tactics on).

And did you know that whoever recommends you to H.B. gets £25 worth of Marks & Spencer vouchers!

This isn't intended as advice, merely my own personal opinion
  • jupes01
    jupes01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Or you could try "Christians Against Poverty" who don't charge a fee as they are a charity. But very good I hear, thought I've not used them myself.
    s
  • dboughtwood
    dboughtwood Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    hi there

well i had been with harrington brooks for about 5 years after i got in a fair bit of debt trouble and they helped me no end my outgoings were more than i was being paid and managed to get all my out goings down to £175 a month and it took a fair few years to clear but i had extra money to at least live with. they are now called allclear finance.

i reccomend highly and have nothing but praise for them for helping me out.
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You really need to contact CCCS or Payplan who will do exactly the same for you as Harrington Brooks but they won't charge you. Why pay some of your income in fees when it can go towards reducing your debts?
    :p
  • pikelet6
    Options
    re harrington brookes.

do not get involved with this company.
    i have been trying to get £80.00 refunded for the past 6 weeks.
    8 promised call backs have not been received, the money has been refunded several times but hasn't. of the few call backs i did get one was from a mobile number, that number has never been answered by the same person twice!? check em out on the internet i'm not the only one!!
    if you require debt help go to either citizens advice or a community legal advice centre. if you must use a debt management provider then use a free one like payplan.
    the fees companies charge are often around 17 to 25%, money you can't afford to give away to make them rich!!
    put it this way, if you have 6 creditors and £100 to 'spare' you have £100 to negotiate with. after they take their fee they will have less of your money to negotiate with. a free company will have the full amount, get the advice and help from somewhere like community legal and you can do it yourself, and pay yourself the fee!
    if you do decide on a debt management company check them out first and try to find a local one. that way if it goes wrong you won't end up with my phone bill!!!
  • save4life_2
    Options
    I went o the CCCS - they never mentioned an IVA, they had me on debt management; the plan was to last 11 years.

I contacted Harrington Brooks; they advised an IVA to be best for both me and my wife. My advisor is really personable and really seems to care. We are 6 months into our IVAs and although we're still finding the payments a little difficult they are actually less than we were paying to the CCCS. I'm convinced this was the best financial decision we've made in some time. I thought we were heading for repossession at the time.

The CCCS are funded by creditors and are therefore less likely to suggest and IVA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure