Reactions prescription specs-reports please..

Options
Im thinking of getting some of these. Im aware that they react to UV and so dont necessarily work when driving etc etc

My big question is,when moving from bright sunlight i.e when the lenses are fully dark,,how long does it take them to clear when entering a building,,and how long do they take to darken when moving the other way?

Anything else i should be aware of?

Thanks
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have some reactive reading glasses. I've only ever bought one pair as they seemed to take an age to darken when looking at a book in the sun!
    After that I bought prescription reading sun glasses with quite a dark tint which were a great deal better.(..... I still only have one pair of these)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are temperature dependant ,they'll react very well on a hot day,mild sunny etc they take a while I find.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Depends, you need to know which lenses are going to be used and look up the timings.

I have been happy with mine they are also progressive.
    (From optical4less which seem to have stopped)

Shop around prices can be wildly different.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on the brand of lens and which generation and which colour. I wear essilor transition V grey with and antireflective coating in my current glasses and they take about 15 mins to go completely clear from their darkest but they go dark if I'm standing indoors looking out the window on a clear day.

The brown lenses clear up quicker, taking the anti-reflective coating off would slow things down, the older generation lenses are slower to change and some of the lenses aren't completely clear when not in the sun.

My husband has essilor transition xtractive which do work in the car and go clear quicker than mine but he does have a slight residual tint, suits him as he's prone to migraines and he find the tint helps.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Xtractive lenses do work in cars so if specifically for driving go with thoose.

Transitions are a marmite thing , they generally do dark quickly but have a longer lag on lightening.

They all have some form of residual tint. I hate them but a lot of my patients love them

Probably the only way to know is to try them?

Otherwise their are frames avilable with a magnetic polarised clip on which I personally prefer.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm..yes im currently exploring clip ons,,, i also read that it can be problematic to get sunglasses/reactions with high prescriptions eg above -8D or thereabouts..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kirtondm wrote: »
    Xtractive lenses do work in cars so if specifically for driving go with thoose.

Transitions are a marmite thing , they generally do dark quickly but have a longer lag on lightening.

They all have some form of residual tint. I hate them but a lot of my patients love them

Probably the only way to know is to try them?

Otherwise their are frames avilable with a magnetic polarised clip on which I personally prefer.

Be aware, the extractive lenses work well behind the car windscreen but take ages to lighte up .. much longer th a general transitions lenses.

I agree light reactive lenses are marmite, I would prefer a second pair of sunglasses with polarised lenses above transitions lenses.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • dotchas
    dotchas Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love my transitions lenses, especially on holiday as I can go in and out of shops etc without having to change from glasses to sunglasses. I am someone who can't bear bright sun without shades!
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My reaction lens, in my Specsavers glasses, work brilliantly. They'll darken if I pop out to the bin or peg out washing. Obviously dark in sunlight fir a period and seem to clear quickly enough.

What I value about them most is that they will darken in the winter when I'd never dream of wearing or carrying sunglasses. Macular Degeneration is a family problem, so I'm paranoid about protecting my eyes.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Options
    Well i made some inquiries at Asda and apparently they cant do 1.74 thinner in photocromic lenses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure