Can't go to Annual Leave from Sick Leave?

Options

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    It's fairly draconian but I completely understand the policy.
    We had someone go on sick leave for 5 days before a week's holiday.

The facebook picture of her on a beach supping a cocktail during the 5 days sickness wasn't her best move, needless to say she got her cards before coming back.
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Yes how dare people have a good time after being ill.

Hopefully you have found a decent place to work now.

Here's your choices:
    • You didn't bother to read what's written in front of you so just kneejerked a ridiculous response
    • You think someone claiming to be off sick has every right to go on holiday during their sickness
    • You're embarrassed by your comment and won't come back to apologise or explain

Pick a box.
  • robatwork
    Options
    Box 3 it is then. I can see you've been back......footprints in the ether.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here's your choices:
    • You didn't bother to read what's written in front of you so just kneejerked a ridiculous response
    • You think someone claiming to be off sick has every right to go on holiday during their sickness
    • You're embarrassed by your comment and won't come back to apologise or explain

Pick a box.

Hey there!

I shall address you points.

1. Probably 50% ;-) but I do not think the post I responded to was clear. Misleading though omision. Was she on holiday early? Myabe the place is a seaside town and it was the local beach where she lives.

2. Depends why they are off. A holiday helps a lot, do employers want staff back ASAP or not. Sickness is sickness, not punishment (I am not saying this was the case here, but there was not enough info, there maybe more now, but I can't see it).

3. Or the post only just came up in the latest posts again, not interesting enough to subscribe. I'm far beyond being embarassed by being an idiot at times!

Over to you?
  • robatwork
    Options
    Hey there!

I shall address you points.

1. Probably 50% ;-) but I do not think the post I responded to was clear. Misleading though omision. Was she on holiday early? Myabe the place is a seaside town and it was the local beach where she lives.

2. Depends why they are off. A holiday helps a lot, do employers want staff back ASAP or not. Sickness is sickness, not punishment (I am not saying this was the case here, but there was not enough info, there maybe more now, but I can't see it).

3. Or the post only just came up in the latest posts again, not interesting enough to subscribe. I'm far beyond being embarassed by being an idiot at times!

Over to you?

Well at least you came back.
    1. lol
    2. lol
    3. lol

Current mood: lol
  • Carrot007
    Options
    Well at least you came back.
    1. lol
    2. lol
    3. lol

Current mood: lol

You are unhappy I said I probably did read it wrong but even after re-reading it was still unclear?

Are you saying they planned to be ill to extend their holiday and did so. You did not clearly say this. If so yes this is bad. But skirting around the issue and not saying it I will give the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, someone however gets ill, holiday is probably the best thing for them for a lot of issues. But yes only if signed off for long enough and not going on a prebooked holiday. It's like you want to punish people for a random act (getting ill).

Feel free to clarify. Or not, your choice.
  • robatwork
    Options
    You are unhappy I said I probably did read it wrong but even after re-reading it was still unclear?

Are you saying they planned to be ill to extend their holiday and did so. You did not clearly say this. If so yes this is bad. But skirting around the issue and not saying it I will give the benefit of the doubt.

To spell it out - they were taking the pees, got caught, and didn't have the cajones to ever come back to work to attempt to explain their masquerade. They weren't sick, just stupid.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options

As a neutral, it wasn't unclear.

It was perfectly clear. You can't get much clearer than this:
    robatwork wrote:
    The facebook picture of her on a beach supping a cocktail during the 5 days sickness

Now, you mentioned "Myabe the place is a seaside town and it was the local beach where she lives." - That is far-fetched for the main reason that people do not generally sip cocktails on beaches in the UK. The beaches of the UK aren't those sort of places; it is more either walking on the promenade (your Blackpools), your limited sports/surfing beaches (your Cornwalls) and your "walk the dog along it" beaches (everywhere else). You find me a recent picture of ANYONE having a cocktail whilst on a UK beach and I'll personally give you £20.

They don't need to "clearly" say this. It was absolutely clear what robatwork was getting at.
    And yes, someone however gets ill, holiday is probably the best thing for them for a lot of issues. But yes only if signed off for long enough and not going on a prebooked holiday. It's like you want to punish people for a random act (getting ill)

robatwork's post strongly suggests that the holiday was pre-booked. I don't think anyone would argue with what you said IF IT WAS RELEVANT.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    To spell it out - they were taking the pees, got caught, and didn't have the cajones to ever come back to work to attempt to explain their masquerade. They weren't sick, just stupid.

I see. Are you young? Becuase for normal people who want a clear point made, that is not spelling it out. it is opinion.

It does sound like you are right in what you are trying to say but you are still not being clear.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    As a neutral, it wasn't unclear.

It was perfectly clear. You can't get much clearer than this:

It really was not. Is englidh yopur first language?

Now, you mentioned "Myabe the place is a seaside town and it was the local beach where she lives." - That is far-fetched for the main reason that people do not generally sip cocktails on beaches in the UK.

Now this I agree with. However I was just giving alternative given we were not expliocitly given anything concrete. And without clarification it is possible. It is also possible that they went to a family owned villa and as such went early rather than a prebooked flight etc. Which again would be perfectly reasonable. Having a cocktail whilst of sick is perfectly fine (depending on the reason of sickness). I am allowed to be far fetched in postulation, the original post needed concrete information to be accecpted as fact.

They don't need to "clearly" say this. It was absolutely clear what robatwork was getting at.

I wonder at your requiremnt for facts before making a desision. Do you have a pitchfork? I hope they are not a judge in a court of law.

robatwork's post strongly suggests that the holiday was pre-booked. I don't think anyone would argue with what you said IF IT WAS RELEVANT.

I hope people do not get convicted of anything due to strogly suggesting.

(I do as I said now think he was making a correct point, just not articulating it correctly).
  • PennySaver83
    Options
    You must admit it does look suspicious going straight from sick to annual leave! I don't know what they actually expect you to do about it, though?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure