Debt Collectors Coming After Person Who No Longer Lives Here

Options
petesmile
petesmile Posts: 16 Forumite
I’ve lived in the property 18 months now; previous tenant (AB) moved out before then.

AB still receives some post, including from bank at my address.

Recently, AB received a chasing letter from a debt collector. I don’t see how AB will get this letter since there is no forwarding address and AB doesn’t collect mail.

So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around – is that a possibility? I really don’t want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Should I be worried? What can I do to convince debt collector that AB no longer lives here and that they should stop sending mail.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5812355

Read above thread, might be more recent if you do a search.

I've dealt with a county court bailiff when in same situation, it was no sweat in the end, they soon backed off once they had confirmation I wasn't who they thought lived in the property. 6 months later nothing heard. I was a little worried that the person who's new address I gave out might come after me but that hasn't happened either. Touching wood! It helped getting an alternative address to give the bailiff too.
  • petesmile
    petesmile Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Probably best to leave replies on just one of the multiple threads.

I suggest the one linked here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5828599
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Just returning the letters unopened marked "Return to Sender, Gone Away" will also help your peace of mind.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,885 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    petesmile wrote: »
    So, I imagine that the debt collector will keep sending mail and eventually even send bailiffs around – is that a possibility? I really don’t want to have bailiffs coming around disturbing my piece.

Do not confuse debt collectors with bailiffs, they are as different as chalk and cheese.

A debt collector will occasionally use self employed collectors to call on a client, but they are just ordinary members of the public, with no more power of entry than next doors cat, and there use is usually limited to inner city areas, where a number of clients can be visited at once, they are easily dealt with by telling them to go away.

Only a court can instruct a bailiff to act on behalf of a claimant, bailiff powers are not as far reaching as you may think, they cannot force entry to private property, unless they are chasing criminal fines and certain other debts, these do not include consumer credit debts.

Plus, they will only be county court bailiffs, not high court, as again, only the county court deals with consumer credit debts.

So as long as you do not allow them entry to your property, there is nothing they can do, as you are not the person they are looking for anyway, then usually showing two forms of ID is sufficient to send them on their way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Open letter, call them explain the situation, you will never here from them again. RTS doesn't work, it never has, the letters will keep coming until you tell them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure