Half a house

Options

Comments

• Silence101
    Silence101 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    And wow, that was a huge increase in interest!! Glad it worked out!
  • Silence101
    Options
    Transferred £25 to stop me from spending it. I have a very bad habit of spending what I have in my account, so if I can divert it asap, I could save a lot more than what I've been doing.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Transferred another £12 to rent account to round it up to £2600. We now have enough for solicitors fees and this month's rent. My husband will get paid at the end of the month and will cover next (and hopefully last) months rent. I did some calculations last night to see how much we should have left for flooring but completely forgot that the rent portion of the S/O is due in advance, so we might not have as much for flooring as previously planned.

We're trying to keep groceries to £60/week but I think we can try and shrink that expense a little more.

And I read that underlay quality is more important than carpet, but I'm not convinced a very cheap carpet will really work, but I guess we just need to go to see samples, because if the cheapest carpet is not too bad, we could save a fair bit. We're only looking to carpet bedrooms and stairs, as the children keep spilling things in the living areas, so we want a wipeable flooring downstairs (not sure what type yet, they all seem to have their pros and cons. And the cost is an issue)
  • Silence101
    Options
    TT another £3. Pretty impressed I've managed to transfer almost £100 since the beginning of the diary. And I know I would have spent quite a bit of that had I left it in my current account. My husband should be able to transfer a substantial amount today as he worked a second job last month, although we've had a few unexpected expenses, so we haven't been able to save as much as originally planned but we haven't had to dip in our savings to cover the costs, so it's all good.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey Silence! Looks like you're doing well so far - and it really does help to put money in another account to where you can't get at it easily.

I'm not sure if underlay quality is more important than the carpet, but I certainly wouldn't skimp on it. Particularly if it gets a lot of use.
  • Viking_mfw
    Viking_mfw Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Expensive underlay can really make a huge difference. When they came to do our hall, much later than the rest of the house because the original carpet had been ripped, they didn't have the underlay we'd ordered, only the more expensive one. It feels like a completely different carpet as a result - much much thicker and more cushy to walk on. I would definitely consider really good underlay with maybe a second or third cheapest carpet range.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations re underlay. We're starting to try and price things up, and seeing what can fit in our budget.
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We didn't opt for carpets in most of our rooms, but a key tip from people who had houses and experience was to pay more for the better underlay in high-traffic areas such as hallways and the stairs. Spare bedrooms or even master bedrooms could have a slightly cheaper underlay as they won't have anywhere near as much treading on over time.

Your savings are going well, and like you I have to move cash out of accounts to prevent it being frittered away and to give me motivation when I see the figures building :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Silence101
    Options
    We didn't opt for carpets in most of our rooms, but a key tip from people who had houses and experience was to pay more for the better underlay in high-traffic areas such as hallways and the stairs. Spare bedrooms or even master bedrooms could have a slightly cheaper underlay as they won't have anywhere near as much treading on over time.

Your savings are going well, and like you I have to move cash out of accounts to prevent it being frittered away and to give me motivation when I see the figures building :D

That's a thought! We hardly use our bedroom except to sleep so that would be a way to save some money.
    We know we don't want carpet downstairs, but still trying to weigh up the different flooring options, to see what should be the most child proof/budget proof. We keep going from the cheapest option of vinyl to the most expensive of wood. It will really depend on how much we have managed to save in the next month.

The rent account is looking healthy but it's not for long, as the fees and rent are going to be due soon. Hopefully we've started a habit which we can continue long term.
  • penny*pincher_2
    Options
    Hi Silence :wave:

Wow looks like things are moving forward now! Well done on the TT's - nothing like the satisfaction of moving money money around and seeing how small amounts soon add up!!

I do hope you are feeling much more positive/confident about the process now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure