Salary Sacrifice - A no brainer?

Options

Comments

• cjking
    cjking Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is nothing in tax law which changes tax treatment of employer contributions at 40%.

The only reason I can think of that an employer would limit the amount of salary sacrifice you're allowed to make is that they cannot allow your salary to fall below the minimum wage.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you confusing the 40k limit with 40% somehow?
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks to the pair of you for clarifying the 40% issue (or more correctly non-issue). I don’t know where that idea came from but there’s nothing in the pension literature that my employer gave me.

There is a clause that you can’t sacrifice enough to take you below the minimum wage or £7,500 per year.

In all honesty I’m not planning to go higher than that anyway but it’s good to know that I’m not going to exceed my limit unintentionally with my bonus at any point.

Many thanks once again everyone.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How did you get to the figure of £50 takehome becoming £100 in a pension? If the employer isn't sharing any of their NI savings then the numbers would be £58 => £100 as you'd be saving 40% tax and 2% NI. If your sacrifice level takes you below the higher rate tax band then that changes to 20% tax and 12% NI so £68 becomes £100. In both cases the £100 becomes £85 when you eventually withdraw it (assuming you are already saving enough to use up your PA every year in retirement).
    Clearly getting the full employer match is a no-brainer. Beyond that things get a little more nuanced, especially if you are in danger of hitting the LTA as anything above LTA will effectively be taxed at 40% on the way out so tying it up in the pension for only 42% relief going in is probably not worth it, and any sacrifice that only gets the 32% relief would lose you money.

One question for you. How often does your employer let you change your contribution level? If you have complete flexibility to change it each month then you can take advantage of the fact that tax is calculated annually, but NI paycheque by paycheque. Cram all of your additional contributions over the basic + matching into a few months where you sacrifice down to minimum wage levels then a big slug of it will get both 40% tax and 12% NI relief.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    Thanks to the pair of you for clarifying the 40% issue (or more correctly non-issue). I don’t know where that idea came from but there’s nothing in the pension literature that my employer gave me.

There is a clause that you can’t sacrifice enough to take you below the minimum wage or £7,500 per year.

In all honesty I’m not planning to go higher than that anyway but it’s good to know that I’m not going to exceed my limit unintentionally with my bonus at any point.

The minimum wage is about £16,000 per year depending on hours worked (about £8 per hour).
  • starkiwi26
    starkiwi26 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    One question for you. How often does your employer let you change your contribution level? If you have complete flexibility to change it each month then you can take advantage of the fact that tax is calculated annually, but NI paycheque by paycheque. Cram all of your additional contributions over the basic + matching into a few months where you sacrifice down to minimum wage levels then a big slug of it will get both 40% tax and 12% NI relief.

Most probably you have to fix a contribution rate for the year, if not it can be too complicated for payroll to adjust every month. But, I suggest you can discuss with payroll for one-off additional pension contribution (especially now - at the end of tax year), tell them this is one-off work, you wont do another one in this year 2018 (but do again March 2019 :p:p), this immediately bring down your taxable income. If you are on PAYE, the HMRC will refund your overpaid tax to your pay check also automatically with payroll too. :beer::beer:

If my answer above clarifies your doubt, please click the "Thank you" button. I learned a lot from fellow MSE members here, it is time to contribute back. :beer::beer:
  • Ballard
    Options
    The minimum wage is about £16,000 per year depending on hours worked (about £8 per hour).

You can’t go below either the minimum wage or £7,500 per year.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Ballard
    Options
    Once I pick a rate I have to stick with it for a year with a few exceptions such as moving or marriage.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »

I wondered if 40% = 40k was because the op was on 100k :)

Don't forget you can carry forward any unused allowance from the previous 3 years as well and that if you go below higher rate threshold you get a larger tax free interest allowance (op mentions cash savings)

Previously hmrc rules was only 1 change in sal sac per tax year, now any restriction will be employer imposed.
    I think....
  • HardCoreProgrammer
    HardCoreProgrammer Posts: 155 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2018 at 1:27AM
    Options
    I am doing the same thing: sacrificing just under 40k per year (they only allow a whole number for percentage, so cannot get 40k precisely).

My situation: mortgage paid off, have emergnecy fund and enough money in non tax exempt accounts to break the annual interest limit. By doing this, I am putting away nearly 60k into tax free accounts per year (with the 20k ISA allowance) and reducing the balance in my non tax free accounts.

Part of the salary sacrifice only gets basic rate tax relief, but do not forget the 12% NI too, which no longer needs to be paid. The employer also adds the employers NI which they would have paid, so I get about another 13% on top.

One more point which has not been mentioned yet: the favourable tax treatment may be taken away at some point in future, so I see it as a "last saloon" opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure