Electric scooter parking at train station

Options
I think I have never seen any scooters left at my local station bike parking.
Is it because they are easily nicked? I see people are using them in the area quite often as we have lots of empty cycle paths.
If you don't want to take it on the train, what are the options?
All my life my mother told me the storm was coming (c) Terminator 3

Comments

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What sort of electric scooter are you referring to?

Do you means ones you ride (like a petrol scooter) registered with the DVLA which are taxed and insured or do you mean the ones you stand on which are illegal to use on footpaths or roads?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you mean a scooter you stand up on, like kids, but electric, they're wholly illegal to use on the pavements, on the roads, anywhere.

Yes they'd be nicked if they were legal/left there.

Yes you see people using them, they've never been legal, but plod's been too busy to bother to get round to fining them until now. Now more injuries/deaths are occurring they'll be over scooter riders like a rash.
  • BiggaThanBen
    Options
    Yes, the "illegal" ones.

They seem to be easier to secure with one lock than bikes as they are more compact overall, but I don't know how easily the wheels themselves can be taken off etc.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would you "park" them up. The whole point of these is they're supposed to be a convenient, mobile alternative to a bike and can be carried around with you when not in use.
  • BiggaThanBen
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Why would you "park" them up. The whole point of these is they're supposed to be a convenient, mobile alternative to a bike and can be carried around with you when not in use.

It is challenging enough to get on the tube with a small backpack in the morning, I can not imagine doing that with 20kg+ scooter, they are not exactly compact when folded either. I only need it to get to the train station, it is not practical taking it to London for my commute.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2019 at 3:11PM
    Options
    It is challenging enough to get on the tube with a small backpack in the morning, I can not imagine doing that with 20kg+ scooter, they are not exactly compact when folded either. I only need it to get to the train station, it is not practical taking it to London for my commute.
    It's not legal either.

Also most e-scooters are around 11kg in weight.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The ones I've seen don't have a design that lends them to being chained up. No frame and wheels with solid hubs or full of brake disc/spokes so you can't thread a chain through anything - or at least not a chain that will defeat anything more serious than a pair of side cutters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure