Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 December 2019 at 8:24AM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I can't help thinking we could probably reduce emissions more by spending 10bn pa in developing countries to encourage them to go straight to wind/solar etc rather than FF than by spending 100bn pa in the UK - thoughts?

I totally agree. I spent years arguing with 'C' that the most important benefits from subsidising RE (especially wind and solar, and a big shout out here has to go to Germany and Italy)) was that the richer nations got the cost down, just in time, for countries with growing middle classes / energy demand to avoid going down the FF route. He did not like this argument. ;)

In the case of India it was very clear cut. They argued that they had the right to a standard of living like ours (and we can't deny them that) and therefore they should be able to ramp up FF generation massively, but in the early to mid 2010's, they changed this policy and started to roll out vast amounts of wind and PV as they could now afford it. All nations that have rolled out RE for generation expansion (as opposed to say us switching from FF to RE) has led to a hidden 'win', as emissions would have been even higher had they ramped up generation via FF's.

In the case of Africa (I'm generalising about the continent, obviously many countries are more developed), they will effectively leapfrog most of the FF generation age, and like India etc are expanding generation with RE, rather than first having to roll out FF generation each time.

If 'we' paid for RE generation in such countries that displaced coal gen, rather than our gas gen, then the global benefits would be greater, but that's a hard sell I suspect.

Alternatively we could help support their rollout, and taking that to the extreme, our rollout of RE does exactly that by contributing to an expanding industry and thereby helping to bring down costs for all.

Europe is driving off-shore wind, most of the richer nations have driven costs down in on-shore wind, and PV costs are now tumbling thanks to massive rollouts in the sunnier nations, so we are now in a great place regarding RE viability for the poorer nations.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    I agree entirely with that sentiment. The only way to curb AGW effectively is to make it a global effort ... and to keep politicians away from any decision making.

A global fund with contributions based on GDP & current emissions.

Shirley that's the Paris Accord (global effort /targets) and again the Paris Accord ($100bn pa fund for aid to developing nations)?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2019 at 9:10PM
    Options
    The UK has just under 1% of the world's population but as an affluent Western nation, it is responsible for far more than 1% of global carbon output. You'll find most of the difference hidden in the figure for China.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The UK has just under 1% of the world's population but as an affluent Western nation, it is responsible for far more than 1% of global carbon output. You'll find most of the difference hidden in the figure for China.

If you look at the figures in Post#1 the UK does not contribute more than 1% of Global carbon output.

The current dreadful fires in Australia have sparked off internal comment about that country's very poor record on Greenhouse gas emissions. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas_emissions_by_Australia

Australia has one of the highest per capita emissions of carbon dioxide in the world, with its 0.3% of the world's population releasing 1.07% of the world's greenhouse gases.

Also export of coal - much to China - is one of their major industries.

I was listening on internet radio to a discussion on this subject. The Australian contributor was making much the same point for Australia as I was making in the opening thread about the UK i.e. 'can GB alone justify spending such vast sums for an almost negligible effect?'

Incidentally this link to a USA website was put on this forum:

https://fee.org/articles/41-inconvenient-truths-on-the-new-energy-economy/

Does anyone have statistics to challenge the depressing statements in that article? Don't shoot the messenger - that is a question, I have no idea! E.G.

solar and wind today(July 2019) supply less than two percent of the global energy.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    At some point solar and wind will be cheaper simply because the world will start to run low on fossil fuels. This might be in 20 years or 200 years time and the time is important

I would argue that offshore wind power is cheap enough at £46/MWh in today's money

This is equal to importing natural gas as 2.3p a unit which is significantly more expensive than actually importing natural gas for 1p a unit

Still I think this is worthwhile for us to do to pay this premium

Partly because about one third of that wind cost will come back in taxes so that's really 1.5p Vs 1p on a post tax basis. But also because I think all things considered supporting the net gas exporters isn't in the long term interest of the west. So paying 1.5p for domestic wind rather than sending 1p off to Russia is worth it. Think of it as indirect defence spending

Also I believe the costs of wind power can continue to fall so hopefully these £46/MWh wind farms will become cheaper still. Plus hopefully at the end of their 20 year lives a large part.of the wind farms infrastructure can be reused with perhaps only the blades and generator replaced so maybe the energy companies can sell wind electricity for significantly less when they replace the wind turbines

So on economic grounds I think offshore wind in the UK is a positive argument
    Oh and if the UK investment brings prices down enough so other countries also adopt mass offshore wind that's good too because it makes the world a little bit more secure and it reduces fossil fuel prices for us in the process

So while I do highlight a lot of the negatives of wind power and claimitchange and the outright lies, on balance I am very pro offshore wind power

I also feel air to air heat pumps can be deployed at affordable prices if done so on a large scale. Many hot middle income countries have air to air heat pumps so it will definitely be affordable if a workforce was trained to install and maintain them. With smart grid technology and low electricity prices these heat pumps can be close to natural gas heating prices

And for transportation hybrids are far more efficient so there are savings there
    Then plug in hybrids can cover 99% of annually mileage with as little as 40 mile range

So there is an economic path for a deep decarb
    It will take 30 years but it is possible

The same is likely true for much of the rest of the world
    It makes no sense for the net fossil fuel importers to not go solar and wind
    Of course those countries with net fossil fuel exports who have cheap secure fossil fuels there isn't much of a real incentive for them but they will also so this just because most political players have little to no understanding of business

I still meet people who think once you have solar energy it's free electricity for ever so it's the obvious choice. No idea about supply demand storage or degradation and replacement and capital costs etc. These people have votes and will vote for PV and solar even if it makes them poorer as they don't know better
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The article is trying to be negative, it repeatedly conflates numbers to out things in the most negative light possible.

For example it states that a shale well produces 300kwh of energy for the same cost as 50kwh from green sources. This may or may not be true, but it ignores that the electricity generated is now read for consumption, whilst the oil/gas needs to be burnt, meaning less useful power and ignores the cost of the power station to burn it.

They are funded in part by the fossil fuel industry.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Foundation_for_Economic_Education
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • GreatApe
    Options
    I was listening on internet radio to a discussion on this subject. The Australian contributor was making much the same point for Australia as I was making in the opening thread about the UK i.e. 'can GB alone justify spending such vast sums for an almost negligible effect?

No there is no justification to spend vast sums for negligible effect
    But if the price point can be such that the vast sums are much smaller sums then it's much more sustainable and possible. It looks like this price point may be reached within 5 years
    Does anyone have statistics to challenge the depressing statements in that article? Don't shoot the messenger - that is a question, I have no idea! E.G.

It takes a long time infrastructure is slow

If you project current deployment rates forward 30 years you might get something like
    5TW of solar and 2TW of wind power which would be about 33% of global electricity demand which would make solar and wind the #1 global electricity source. While the fundamentals would call that a failure it's actually a huge success.

If deployment increased by 50% solar and wind could be 50% of the world's electricity grid in 30 years time which would be a massive success. The other 50% would be a mix of nuclear hydropower biomass and fossil fuels
  • GreatApe
    Options
    ABrass wrote: »
    The article is trying to be negative, it repeatedly conflates numbers to out things in the most negative light possible.

For example it states that a shale well produces 300kwh of energy for the same cost as 50kwh from green sources. This may or may not be true, but it ignores that the electricity generated is now read for consumption, whilst the oil/gas needs to be burnt, meaning less useful power and ignores the cost of the power station to burn it.

They are funded in part by the fossil fuel industry.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Foundation_for_Economic_Education

Shale gas is extremely productive and extremely cheap
    But it won't last forever
    And more importantly it's only really been developed in the USA on a large scale
    Some countries have big exports of natural gas but most don't

So the fact that it's so cheap so productive doesn't matter if you don't have a domestic shale industry

Wind power especially is getting affordable
    Well actually no it's not affordable Vs imported gas
    But since it's domestic and pays domestic taxes and creates domestic jobs the political class is happy to pay extra for wind power rather than imported gas

As such the UK has a target of 40GW offshore wind by 2030
    That is huge it's about 150TW annually or 44% of today's UK grid useage just from offshore wind (we also have some onshore some solar some nuclear and some imports)

So it's already a success a huge success if you define success as market share wind will be #1 in the UK Grid

The same will be true for all net fossil fuel importers
    They will pay a premium for domestic wind especially
    And for 'domestic' PV but really a huge part of the GVA of PV goes to China so OV should be avoided for all but the most sunny locations instead wind is more domestic GVA

Wind and PV will take #1 spot on the world's grid
    I don't subscribe to the fundamentalist views of quick short term total transition that's unlikely
    But 50% of the world's grid electricity from PV and Wind by 2050 is very possible and it would be my base case guess

If transportation and hearing is affordably electrified then that means at least half the planets primary energy in 2050 would be from PV and Wind. A huge huge huge success. Doesn't need to be 100% and anything less is a failure those are fundamentalist ideas not worth pushing

So the picture is actually very good
    If advanced automation and software kicks in
    I'm thinking fully automated manufacturing with near AI level software
    Then this 50% could indeed become 100% not long after
  • GreatApe
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I totally agree. I spent years arguing with 'C' that the most important benefits from subsidising RE (especially wind and solar, and a big shout out here has to go to Germany and Italy)) was that the richer nations got the cost down, just in time, for countries with growing middle classes / energy demand to avoid going down the FF route. He did not like this argument. ;)

In the case of India it was very clear cut. They argued that they had the right to a standard of living like ours (and we can't deny them that) and therefore they should be able to ramp up FF generation massively, but in the early to mid 2010's, they changed this policy and started to roll out vast amounts of wind and PV as they could now afford it. All nations that have rolled out RE for generation expansion (as opposed to say us switching from FF to RE) has led to a hidden 'win', as emissions would have been even higher had they ramped up generation via FF's.

In the case of Africa (I'm generalising about the continent, obviously many countries are more developed), they will effectively leapfrog most of the FF generation age, and like India etc are expanding generation with RE, rather than first having to roll out FF generation each time.

If 'we' paid for RE generation in such countries that displaced coal gen, rather than our gas gen, then the global benefits would be greater, but that's a hard sell I suspect.

Alternatively we could help support their rollout, and taking that to the extreme, our rollout of RE does exactly that by contributing to an expanding industry and thereby helping to bring down costs for all.

Europe is driving off-shore wind, most of the richer nations have driven costs down in on-shore wind, and PV costs are now tumbling thanks to massive rollouts in the sunnier nations, so we are now in a great place regarding RE viability for the poorer nations.

I generally agree with the theme of this post

However intermittent wind and PV need full fossil fuel infrastructure to enable them to work

As such the existence of wind and PV have not in any way reduced the need for India or Africa or China to not build fossil fuel power stations
  • GreatApe
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I can't help thinking we could probably reduce emissions more by spending 10bn pa in developing countries to encourage them to go straight to wind/solar etc rather than FF than by spending 100bn pa in the UK - thoughts?

How do you fill in the gaps for when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine?

You need to build them a fossil fuel infrastructure first to then build them some wind and PV to enable both to work

If you want to do infrastructure projects then hydropower makes more sense
    Also things like cement factories
    Brick factories
    Steel plants
    A motorway network
    A few ports and airports
    The basics so they can then themselves build their own country from these raw ingredients
    Of course the short term this will lead to massive fossil fuel useage increase

This is no bad thing because the real hardship of poverty is much more pressing than the mostly imagined hardship of co2 molecules
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure