Credit card interest rates

Hi
I have been struggling for the last few months to pay over the minimum charge on my credit card.
This is due to a lot of time off of work due to sickness which followed an operation in June & resulted in one month off of work which has meant for the last 6 months I've been down on my wage by hundreds of pounds & so has meant that I've had direct debits bounce.
Finally I'm back to being on a solid wage (with also working over time so I will have some extra to set aside to pay towards my credit card)
I've managed to settle any direct debits that have bounced so the only thing I'm really struggling with is getting my credit card under control. I am not spending on the card but I am still being charged interest rates of over £150 each month & because I was unable to meet this due to my pay being down, I have gone over my limit & im also being charged because of this including letters to notify me & phonecalls (which I never answer because it brings out a lot of anxiety)
I know that soon I will be able to get it under control a little better but the constant interest charges (when not buying anything on the card) worries me that il never get out of this mess. I am constantly in my over draft & also get charged daily because of this (resulting in approx £40 per month towards these charges)
My credit card is my main concern at the moment. It is currently £4,300 with the limit being set at £4,150.
Any help would be great as I find calling any companies quite daunting
Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Make a written complaint to the CC company, tell them the issues you have been having, they don`t know why you haven't paid, to them your just a bad payer, they won`t be able to do anything about it unless you tell them.

Ask for the interest and charges, on this occasion, to be refunded, due to your health issues etc.

Don`t ask, you don`t get, you may just be surprised what they will do for you if you explain your situation to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you. I hadn't of even thought of writing to them and explaining my situation. I can't find my operation letter but I have found my pre op consultation letter which states that i was due to be scheduled in for one so hopefully this helps my case. Thank you so much
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure