PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Cake Boxes

Options
I’m baking four Christmas Cakes this year. One for myself the others as presents. I’m using the Delia Smith recipe. It’s baked in a 20 cm round cake tin

To keep it fresh I appreciate I’ll have to keep it well wrapped but I’m wondering what’s the best type of cake tin to use taking presentation into account; one slightly bigger say 22 cm to give me a bit of room to wrap the cake or will an ordinary cake box without wrapping do? Last year I used biscuit boxes but this year my supply has dried up

Kevin

Comments

• Seep it in whiskey, or sherry like your aunt! Cover with marzipan and royal icing. Then in a Tupperware box. Will last until February! Well, that is how long they last before they become crumbs around BoP's Place!

And who is this Ms Smith, is she related to Jimmy the Cook?

Nana used this, and no nonsense!
    http://www.be-ro.co.uk/Be-Ro/media/downloads/Be-Ro_website_recipes.pdf
  • SunMoonStars
    SunMoonStars Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 7:01PM
    Options
    The Delia Smith recipe comes out really good. It needs plenty of Brandy though. 22cm could be tight if you want to put it on any type of plate or tray. Maybe 24cm would give more room to manoeuvre?

I make this recipe up but divide the mixture into 3 wee Lakeland mini push pans and give them to single colleagues who love the mini size. They measure 2.5 inches deep before cooking. Remember christmas cake mix does not really rise so take care not to spread it too thin.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2018 at 7:13PM
    Options
    Will you be decorating them at all? If so, cake should go on a board and the box should just fit the board to prevent sliding - the icing will keep air from the cake.

Typically I would bake a couple of months in advance, keep in an airtight box (round sweet boxes are perfect) wrapped in clingfilm, feed with brandy once a week. A couple of weeks beforehand I'd decorate it, box and send.

With an 8'' cake I'd use a 10'' minimum board and box (you need room for marzipan and icing). 11'' or 12'' would be easier to handle.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The pound shop have some excellent cake carriers.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Delia’s cake is definitely a good cake..I’ve been using it for a few years now: onefor little sis, and one for me. Nowrequests are coming in 😄. Yes, I was thinking something like 24
  • kah22
    Options
    Typically I would bake a couple of months in advance, keep in an airtight box (round sweet boxes are perfect) wrapped in clingfilm, feed with brandy once a week. A couple of weeks beforehand I'd decorate it, box and send.
    I wouldn’t be to sure about the cling film, Rosemary7, I would be afraid of it sweating the cake
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    When I used to make Christmas Cakes I would make them at least 6 months in advance & wrap in wax paper. Would dose with alcohol every month:rotfl:
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I agree about the Delia recipe. It is in fact, line by line almost the same as our 'family' recipe (used for my grandparents' wedding cake in 1922!) except for the use of demerara instead of muscovado. I found out when I lost my family recipe one year, and turned to Delia! I've found it again now.
    i'm not sure exactly what you want Kevin. The initial storage, whilst feeding, and before icing can be in any tin or Tupperware type (I too wrap in greaseproof paper). But for 'presentation' (I do a few every year, some iced, some topped with fruit & glazed) and I put them in the 'cellophane' type of bags you can buy quite cheaply, and tape them up. That is fine for 2-3 days, and it's up to the recipient to put into a tin!
  • kah22
    Options
    It’s mainly presentation I’m thinking off.

In previous years I used biscuit tin boxes both for storage during the initial feeding stage with the cake covered in greeceproof paper and I handed it over in the tin minus the paper

This year I haven’t got any tins and anyway I want to go a little bit more posh this year
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    Very generous of you to give the tin - which is probably why you've none left!
    I would either follow my suggestion - you've given them a nice cake, packed in a cellophane bag - it looks nice, then the storage is up to them; or regard the 'tin' as part of the gift. Charity shops are no good, but cheap home stores (the 'pound' type, wilko, some local stores) often have cheap tins. Usually, plastic boxes are dearer, but I've sometimes found cheapish ones, and tying a ribbon round makes them look nice.
    Personally, I wouldn't go for a cardboard box - they are dearer than the cellophane bags, but no good for storage, so neither one thing nor the other. However, if I acquired a nice looking box for free, I might use it!
    Another option is using just cellophane - cake & craft shops often sell a roll of food grade cellophane. You cut a nice big circle, gather it up and tie with a ribbon - looks really nice, but again, could only store a cake for a couple of days or so.
    However you present it - a Xmas cake is a lovely & generous gift - your friends are lucky!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure