Saving for a new leg!

Options
I hope that title made you sit up! :)

Having lurked on the Debt Free Diaries Forum for several years now, I have decided to start my own diary. A little bit about me …

I have been a lower limb amputee for 40 years next year following a diagnosis of Osteosarcoma in 1979 (when I was 17 years old). My leg was amputated at the hip which is a very high amputation and consequently I have no residual leg at all.

After years of attending NHS Limb Centres and having had a number of NHS Legs (some good, some bad) - in 2015 I took out a £11,000 loan (plus my mother gave me £3,000) to purchase a £14,000 Private Leg. Although the loan is due to be paid off in July 2020, I am looking to purchase a second Private Leg as a new type of socket has come onto the market. The likely cost is probably around £16,000. So, my plan is to take out a new loan to pay off the original loan and purchase the second Private Leg. The more I can save to do this, the less loan I will need - hence the reason for starting a new diary.

I live with my partner who is retired. My daughter is 26 years old and lives in her own flat. I paid off my mortgage in 2016. I have several part-time jobs which pay me the equivalent of a full-time job.

I would class myself as ‘penny-wise, pound-foolish’ as I can live very frugally for a while (for example use the library rather than buy books) and then will spend lots of money at once. My main extravagances are clothes (particularly from White Stuff/Fat Face), underwear, books, magazines, toiletries and food.

I sell no longer wanted items on eBay, I always put them on at a low price and do not charge for p&p. I find this works for me as very rarely I do not sell an item. I also sell no longer wanted books on Amazon but I do not make much from this.

My aims are:-

Not to buy any more books until I have read all the books that I have purchased and use the library

Not to buy any more clothes or underwear this year

Not to buy any more toiletries until I have used all the toiletries that I have purchased

Not to spend more than my budget on Christmas presents

Keep to my budget in general

Start a Private Leg Fund

Comments

• Well it made me sit up :p

Good luck with all your plans and can't wait to hear about you getting this new leg!

Dxxx
  • BettyBoof
    Options
    And me! :-)

Good luck with your plans to save, I think your 'stop buying until things are used up' plan is a good one.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Way to make people notice your new diary. Great title and aim. Presumably as each private leg is custom made there is no way the original leg can be sold? Apologies if that is a stupid question. I don't know how they fit or make the legs for amputees. Shame it is not available on the NHS. Is this the only debt you have? Well done on paying off the mortgage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tattycat6
    Options
    No, unfortunately each private leg is custom made so there is no possibility of selling it! I may be able to use the hip and knee that are in the current leg which would be a saving - however, over time parts wear out (a bit like a car) and could possibly become unsafe. I did have a lovely NHS Leg but my Prosthesist unexpectedly died and I didn't get on with his replacement which was one of the reasons that I decided to go private.

It is the only debt I have but life has not always been like it is now. When I was married to my ex-husband, we were constantly in debt and struggled to pay our bills. So much so that sometimes we didn't have enough food to eat (it was the days before Food Banks). Unfortunately, he had mental health problems and this manifested itself in over spending.

I have managed to pay off the mortgage in the past 8 years by overpaying and saving but my mortgage wasn't so high as I had made a profit on two previous houses. Now my house is worth exactly what I bought it for 10 years ago as house prices in this area haven't risen for several years.

I have used my Boots Points to buy six Christmas presents on their 3 for the price of 2 offer and am going to fetch my order today.

I was thinking of buying a pink vest yesterday but told myself that I have more than enough vests albeit not in pink so managed to resist the temptation! Little steps!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Great start on the Christmas present buying and not buying the vest. When money was tight for us I used to say to myself before each purchase - want or need? Often it was a want so I did not buy unless I had budgeted and had the cash there.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,552 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Baby steps are good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Wishing you good luck. You sound very motivated so I am sure you can do this :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills