Public Sector Pension Reform In Trouble?

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    Evidence perhaps that swingeing public sector pension reform is becoming problematic as regards staff retention in certain public sector roles.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38170756

Under the agreement, prison officers will be allowed to retire at 65 - up to three years ahead of the current state pension age - at no cost to them and with full pension benefits.

Uniformed staff will also be given consolidated pay rises of between 0.5% and 1% for each of the next three years, on top of usual performance-related pay increases.

They also stand to receive a "recognition and retention" package totalling £1,000.

Swingeing indeed...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Swingeing indeed...

When the original retirement age was 60 I`d say that was pretty swingeing. The kernel of my point however is that in a relatively quick time reform is being scaled back due to staff retention issues.
    As I suspected in certain roles you cannot treat public servants like private sector workers.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When the original retirement age was 60 I`d say that was pretty swingeing. The kernel of my point however is that in a relatively quick time reform is being scaled back due to staff retention issues.
    As I suspected in certain roles you cannot treat public servants like private sector workers.

Where is it being scaled back?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When the original retirement age was 60 I`d say that was pretty swingeing.

The NPA in Nuvos was 65 (Nuvos = the civil service scheme for new joiners before Alpha came in last year).
    The kernel of my point however is that in a relatively quick time reform is being scaled back due to staff retention issues.

Well done for finding an example (if small). Now find a single other...

Successful special pleading by the main union involved + a weak-kneed employer that nevertheless had the power to change pension terms, which is pretty unusual in public sector-land (a council's HR department can't change the terms of the LGPS).
  • Tromking
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    The NPA in Nuvos was 65 (Nuvos = the civil service scheme for new joiners before Alpha came in last year).

I can only talk for my establishment (I've no reason to think its not typical) and say that its dominated by a large rump but an ever diminishing amount of staff who started on the Classic scheme and Newbies who because of various factors usually leave in quite short order. You can see its going to get worse.
    Well done for finding an example (if small). Now find a single other..

I know of a few public sector roles engaged in similar challenges to their NPA, MOD Plod and Paramedics to name two. These are early days in respect of pension reform for public sector workers, I would expect ongoing retention issues to drive down the NPA of many public servants in the future, just like it has in my role. Many people are unaware of the burgeoning staff retention crisis in our public services and another decade of austerity will probably see more downward movement in NPA`s.
    Successful special pleading by the main union involved + a weak-kneed employer that nevertheless had the power to change pension terms, which is pretty unusual in public sector-land (a council's HR department can't change the terms of the LGPS).

The employer in this case are only weak-kneed because they tried to apply private sector style pension reform to a role that needs a decent remuneration package to attract people willing to put up with the stresses involved. FWIW I think POA members will reject this deal.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    Options
    Many people are unaware of the burgeoning staff retention crisis in our public services and another decade of austerity will probably see more downward movement in NPA`s.

No chance! Full-on recruitment crises would pull in the other direction, i.e. reducing pension rights in order to fund higher salaries. Example would be that NHS trust earlier in the year that looked to offer new recruits a higher salary if they opted out of the NHS pension scheme.
    The employer in this case are only weak-kneed because they tried to apply private sector style pension reform to a role that needs a decent remuneration package to attract people willing to put up with the stresses involved.

Don't people who work for private security firms face very similar pressures? And yet, companies like Group 4 dumped their DB schemes (if they ever had one in the first place) years ago.
  • Tromking
    edited 3 December 2016 at 7:18PM
    Options
    No chance! Full-on recruitment crises would pull in the other direction, i.e. reducing pension rights in order to fund higher salaries. Example would be that NHS trust earlier in the year that looked to offer new recruits a higher salary if they opted out of the NHS pension scheme.

It would be interesting to see how that particular plan plays out.
    In roles that need time served expertise it does seem a tad shortsighted.
    Don't people who work for private security firms face very similar pressures? And yet, companies like Group 4 dumped their DB schemes (if they ever had one in the first place) years ago.

No Minister was ever called to the House to explain an increase in Tesco`s shoplifting, yet for Prison escapes or murders its somewhat different.
    You make the oft made mistake of not comparing like with like. Easy to absorb the loss of a super-market security guard after 12 months not so a Prison Officer. The ongoing crisis in our Jails are a direct result of reducing the staff remuneration package inc. pensions. Expect similar in other public services too in the near future.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Though of course there's no absolute reason why such areas are always in the public sector.

Outsourcing is still popular, and whether this is pure private sector, ppp, or another mechanism then reduction in public sector headcount is a trend that may be politically expedient.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is outsourcing so popular? There appears to be a majority of people in favour of bringing back British Rail (Virgin are putting up fares on the East Coast line because they are not generating enough customers; how is that entrepreneurship?). Outsourcing tends to work for the first few years because the private company gets rid of the dead wood that the Government/local authority will not do, giving things the equivalent of a lick of paint and invest in some technology to improve things. Come year 3 or about half way through the contract the new company are struggling to increase their profits and the Govt/LA are looking to have the non-profit areas improved as well. Everyone then spends their time looking at contracts, investment stops as the contract may not be renewed and Govt/LA wondering where it all went wrong.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    Options
    i.e. reducing pension rights in order to fund higher salaries. Example would be that NHS trust earlier in the year that looked to offer new recruits a higher salary if they opted out of the NHS pension scheme.

I thought this was illegal. Or does that only apply to DC schemes?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback