PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JingsMyBucket - thanks. Xxx

Another nsd (july 3/31). Out of fruit except bananas, sultanas and dried apricots. I'll just hold out until shopping day tomorrow. Dinner is pasta, roasted Mediterranean vegetables, sauce and dough balls. This is the post swimming fill them up meal! X
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DH cashed in one of his weekend beer tokens last night and £14.44 was spent in the co-op, £8.89 on beer and the rest on carp. My total is now £85.22.

I have meal planned up until next Thursday and am sending DH to the shop tomorrow as I am away with work until late Friday and he will be carless. He is going to love me though as I am sending him to Asda and Aldi. I was hoping for a cheap week to pull back some of this week's overspend but we are completely out of chicken, coffee, baked beans, squash, loo roll and a few other bits.

Meal Plan (in case I lose the scrap of paper I have written it on!)

Wed - Fajhitas
    Thur - Breaded fish/chicken and chips (DH & DS only)
    Fri - Jacket potatoes with cheese and beans (I'm in late)
    Sat - Fake-away! Chicken curry, half and half, poppadum
    Sun - Chicken pie, mash, carrots, broccoli
    Mon - Vegan chilli and spicy wedges (probably chicken for DS with wedges)
    Tue - Pizza (DS) Fish and rice (DH)
    Wed - Jacket potatoes with cheese and beans (I'm in late)
    Thur - Pork Cassoulet and mash
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Sewinglady
    Sewinglady Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all - just checking in. The YS chicken breasts are now cooked, sliced and a portion kept for lunch today / tomorrow - whilst the rest are in the freezer. Today is a NSD - with the prospect later of some homegrown raspberries and strawberries for tea. Heck - there may even be some homegrown potatoes on the menu!!
    Grocery Challenge - July
    £116.87/ £250
  • Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, please can I join this thread?

Just have to buy food for myself. im on an organic and vegetarian diet due to chemical sensitivities so food is a bit expensive for me. but I have set myself a budget of £200 a month.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NSD for me today. I've made Twinks hobnobs and mocha squares this morning(half of each will be posted to a friend) and put a tub of the brownies that I made at the weekend into the freezer so plenty of treats in the house.
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 July 2018 at 8:14PM
    Options
    A shopping trip and a stroll this morning yielded me:

€1.00 at the halal store for ramen.

€16.86 at the organic market for 2 bottles of olive oil which should last us until the end of August.

€5.39 at Lidl for toilet paper, parchment paper, and half a dozen eggs. (I couldn't find the vendor of the nice eggs and I couldn't find my square's market because they moved it! I found it on the way back home though.)

TOTAL SO FAR:
    €82.33 / €400.00
    1 / 12 NSD

I might buy a box of chocolate for OH's birthday which is tomorrow but that'll come from another budget. He also wants to go out for dinner instead of me cooking for him, so that should shave more expenses off the total this month. I'm going to try to stretch no buying to Friday evening or Saturday.
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also, I forgot to ask: Has anyone ever successfully frozen these M & S frankfurters? https://www.marksandspencerfoodhall.co.uk/nutrition/c6fdc054-a8dc-4fe3-abae-42cb9179bafb--1494252004

The package says "not suitable for freezing" but I'm not sure if they're being overly cautious or not. I won't be able to start/finish the pack I bought before the expiry date of 12/7 so I'd like to Tetris them into the freezer. Any ideas? Please and thanks.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    First spends of the month on butter, cheddar, halloumi, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, bananas and bread rolls. It's too hot for proper cooking so the next few days will involve burgers and sausages being used from the freezer in the bread rolls with salad. I need to clear some stuff from the freezer and I can't face the many tubs of soup I've got stashed in there in this weather.

13.44/150
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today I spent £2 on shampoo and conditioner, £2 on 2 deodorants on special offer and £30 on nappies. This seems excessive but it was £2 for a 54 pack which is great value and I will be needing nappies for at least a year! So that takes my total to £70.94.

Yesterday I made a lasagna for tea and bulked it out with some lentil bolognese I had in the freezer. It served 4 plus I froze 2 portions before anyone could have seconds (myself included!). Normally we would scoff it all! DH just asked where the rest of the lasagna was! :D
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    £1.00 at Iceland
    £3.00 at Farmfoods
    £2.00 at Band M
    £56.74 at Sainsburys online

So far, £62.74 total
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport