2»

Comments

• mailsmsi
    mailsmsi Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mailsmsi wrote: »
    Thanks zagfles .

1) Employers pension is the Salary Sacrifice in Nest Pension.

2)I also make personally separate contribution to Nest Pension by
    monthly direct debit.

With the above information , is my answer for the tax return question will be changed?

Personal contribution by monthly direct debit and contribution from employment is same nest pension account.

Any contribution to pension fund either from personal bank account or employment is 20 percent tax relief added.

Example 20 pound invest in pension

20+5 -.36-.09 =24.55

a contribution charge of 1.8 per cent on each new contribution into a member’s retirement pot
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    mailsmsi wrote: »
    Personal contribution by monthly direct debit and contribution from employment is same nest pension account.

Any contribution to pension fund either from personal bank account or employment is 20 percent tax relief added.

Example 20 pound invest in pension

20+5 -.36-.09 =24.55

a contribution charge of 1.8 per cent on each new contribution into a member!!!8217;s retirement pot
    This makes no sense. What you posted before implies the employment contributions are salary sacrifice. But tax relief should not be added to sal sac contributions, or employer conts, as that gets you double tax relief!

Can you check your payslips and confirm for certain whether pension conts are being taken off before or after tax. If you don't know how, post two consecutive payslips, including all the numbers inc the tax code and year to date figures but not personal info like NI number, PAYE number.

There's been some recent posts here about employers screwing up their conts and ending up with this problem.
  • mailsmsi
    Options
    From payslip
    NEST Pens Ees 43.57

From nest website
    Employer 29.78
    Employee 23.82

Why two figures are different?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    You'll need to post far more info if you want any help. See my previous post. Also post your pension statement, if you've had it yet. Obviously leave out any personal info.
  • mailsmsi
    Options
    I think I got the answer.
    After carefully reading I think answers bellow.

1)Payments to registered pension schemes
    Only contribution make from bank account not from employment
    2)Payments to a retirement annuity contract (Also known as RAR)
    not applicable

3)Payments to your employer's scheme which were not deducted from your pay before tax:
    not applicable
    4)overseas pension scheme
    Not Applicable

pension.jpg
  • mailsmsi
    Options
    Any Suggestion?
  • linzod
    Options
    mailsmsi said:
    Any Suggestion?
    Hi - a bit late to the party but I worked out where you went wrong even though you've probably realised by now; It may help someone else.

If you go back to the very beginning of your tax return when you're answering a series of yes/no questions you'll see one that asks about personal pensions. You needed to answer no to this because what you're paying into is an employment pension and not a personal pension, even if you are making extra payments yourself. This then negates the need to answer the questions you've referenced in your original post. 

I got stuck on it myself for a while before going back to the beginning and checking the initial question that led to this section. I assume the differentiation is because HMRC is automatically informed about employment pensions so already has this information.
    HTH.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure