Student son working ?

Options
Hi
My son is in full time college education & is 18 years old.
He would like to get a P/T job to start saving for his future.
Will this impact our family's tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit etc
Basically what we want to know is do his earnings count towards the family pot or are they considered as separate ?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2012 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Hi
    Will this impact our family's tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit etc
    Basically what we want to know is do his earnings count towards the family pot or are they considered as separate ?
    Thanks in advance

I can't add any more to the advice you have were given last week here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4195847

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • madhattersam
    Options
    Thanks Wywth

I put this question on the wrong board last week by mistake
    So i have re-posted it here for someone from CAB to take a look & hopefully reply
    Regards
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks in advance

Hi madhattersam - firstly, my apologies for not having responded to your post before today. The best thing would be to get advice from someone at your local bureau and as soon as possible, especially as the particular details of anyone's circumstances will impact on what they are entitled to claim. And this is all about to get more complex with the (gradual) introduction of Universal Credit, and that three systems will run in parallel until 2017.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • madhattersam
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply

Not wanting to be rude but it isn't that helpful

There must be some simple rules that say -
    a child/student of 18 is not part of the household income working p/time
    Or they are ?

Regards
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply

Or they are ?

Regards

Hi there - only the CAB representatives are permitted to answer your question. We'll see if that's possible, of if they'd also advise contacting your local bureau.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply

Or they are ?

Regards

The advice given on the Work and Benefits Board gave you the outline of the rules as they stand for HB and tax credits at present. As long as you can prove that your son's course is full time he will be treated as a dependent child and (subject to the warnings about capital) should not affect your benefits.

In terms of the Universal Credit, it is my understanding that this is being rolled in gradually and will initially only be for new claimants, so as long as your existing claims continue then universal credit won't affect you until at least 2014.

Council Tax Benefit changes to Council Tax Support in April 2013 and each Council is allowed to operate their own rules, so you will need to check on the changes that your local council is proposing.
  • madhattersam
    Options
    OK Thanks for your reply
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there - only the CAB representatives are permitted to answer your question. We'll see if that's possible, of if they'd also advise contacting your local bureau.

In that case, why did you give a half baked reply in the post above, which was misleading and inaccurate?

I am frankly astonished that NACAB is supporting this board. People find their way here, looking for CAB advice, when it is clear that the CABx do not have the resources to monitor these threads or to give timely advice. So MSErs step in and provide advice - which is actually great, because many of these posters are experts in their fields - but what they are NOT, is trained CAB advisers. That is utterly misleading to the general public.

Shame on you, NACAB!
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure