Nervous about accepting a job offer- please help!

Options
I've just been offered a job as a Nursery Nurse even though it's a step down as my previous role as a Room Leader (left due to company becoming insolvent).

After asking my old Manager for a reference, he has declared me "stupid" for applying to be a Nursery Nurse and said that if he interviewed me now, he wouldn't take me on for a job as my C.V looks a mess.

This is due to me getting a degree in Early Years and then a PGCE in Primary Education. Since then, I have spent time teaching and been in a Deputy Nursery Manager role before my previous job as Room Leader. I have taken the job as I hate being jobless and the nursery is on my doorstep. Would I be wrong to accept as I would be taking another step down? Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Comments

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignore the idiot. You need a job and have found one. Lots of people take a step down because they have bills to pay, or just want a job with less responsibility. There is nothing to stop you from applying for something more senior in the future.
  • Chop-D
    Chop-D Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't worry about you're old manager. It sounds like you are happier in work and this sounds like a good opportunity to keep you going and keep your confidence up. You never know , it may bring other opportunities too.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2019 at 9:34AM
    Options
    lgillgrass wrote: »

After asking my old Manager for a reference, he has declared me "stupid" for applying to be a Nursery Nurse and said that if he interviewed me now, he wouldn't take me on for a job as my C.V looks a mess.

Is this the man whose company became insolvent? Just remind yourself there's a reason you're not working for him now and carry on making your own choices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure