Options
2»

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 December 2018 at 1:27AM
    Options
    A few things you may need to consider anyway and this is from a site that wants you to do it as they sell lodges etc
    As an ‘independent separate dwelling’ that is to be let out to people outside of your main household dependency, it is likely that you will need to obtain planning permission in line with government guidelines.

As we are garden room experts, not planning consultants, we would always recommend that clients seek independent planning advice to ensure that the project adheres to all requirements.

As your new guest annex will be used for overnight accommodation, you will also require full building regulations. we can work with you and a building control engineer to ensure the building complies to the regulations required.

Another consideration that you may need to take into account is that the local authority may require you to sign a 106 legal document preventing the room being rented commercially (i.e. as an office space) or sold as a separate dwelling. There can also be implications in terms of capital gains tax if you wish to sell your home and it is seen as a commercial property, so it’s important that you make sure all your paperwork is in place.

There are generally fewer restrictions for mobile structures such as Shepherd's Huts.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    We built a large structure in our garden to be used as a photographic studio. We went for the maximum size allowable under permitted development, but were told in no uncertain terms that we were not allowed to put a toilet in, as that would tip it over the edge of being 'habitable', even if it was under the permitted development size.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure