Query about planning refusal - can anyone help?

Options
Hello everyone,

posting on behalf of my elderly father:

"I've had a planning application refused by my local council. It was for a separate, cabin-type building to my house ('auxiliary rooms to a main dwelling'), to be used as a games room by my (many!) grandchildren. The architect acting on my behalf included a small kitchenette and bathroom in the design.

The application has been with the council for 3 months and the case officer got in touch over my request for an update this morning to say it was the opinion of the planning group to refuse. He mentioned it was due to "concerns that the design resembles a separate unit of accommodation".

My question is, before I proceed to the Planning Appeals Commission, has anyone had any experience with making a request to their local planning authority to reconsider approving a decision, but with certain conditions attached or with alterations to the original design?

The case officer has quoted that the plan is unacceptable under specific policies that deal with dwellings, but the application was not for a dwelling, so I feel it's being refused on the presumption that it's going to be used as one.

While I can understand where they're coming from in thinking it resembles a unit of accommodation, I'd be willing to adjust the design to remove the aspects that have led them to this conclusion so that I can get it passed, be it removing the kitchenette, bathroom etc.

I've come across a few sites that recommend in the first instance, trying to come to an agreement with your local planning authority by adjusting your plans if an application is refused. However I'm not sure if this advice applies here in NI or just mainland UK; there's no mention of that on the PAC NI site for example."

Apologies if rather long-winded. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

posting on behalf of my elderly father:

"I've had a planning application refused by my local council. It was for a separate, cabin-type building to my house ('auxiliary rooms to a main dwelling'), to be used as a games room by my (many!) grandchildren. The architect acting on my behalf included a small kitchenette and bathroom in the design.

The application has been with the council for 3 months and the case officer got in touch over my request for an update this morning to say it was the opinion of the planning group to refuse. He mentioned it was due to "concerns that the design resembles a separate unit of accommodation".

My question is, before I proceed to the Planning Appeals Commission, has anyone had any experience with making a request to their local planning authority to reconsider approving a decision, but with certain conditions attached or with alterations to the original design?

The case officer has quoted that the plan is unacceptable under specific policies that deal with dwellings, but the application was not for a dwelling, so I feel it's being refused on the presumption that it's going to be used as one.

While I can understand where they're coming from in thinking it resembles a unit of accommodation, I'd be willing to adjust the design to remove the aspects that have led them to this conclusion so that I can get it passed, be it removing the kitchenette, bathroom etc.

I've come across a few sites that recommend in the first instance, trying to come to an agreement with your local planning authority by adjusting your plans if an application is refused. However I'm not sure if this advice applies here in NI or just mainland UK; there's no mention of that on the PAC NI site for example."

Apologies if rather long-winded. Any help would be appreciated.
    It sounds like a granny flat. Good luck. I've a friend who tried for well over 2 years trying to get permission. In the end he gave up. Why not remove the bathroom and kitchenette and go for permitted development as an extension?
  • Verbrannt16
    Options
    Thanks for your reply saverbuyer. Since my initial post we've actually been able to come to an agreement with the planning office where we'll submit a revised design that is minus a sink (seems odd but that's their stipulation!) and slightly smaller overall. They've indicated these tweaks should be enough to reconsider and approve permission. So for anyone else who's reading this and might be in a similar situation, it seems the option is there to try and make adjustments to plans before having to go down the costly and time-consuming appeals route.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure