TESCO Banana price hike / re working

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    You stalking me? :D

Reciprocating.

I think you live in Southchurch, more towards Southend.
    Nul points, my anonymous friend. Keep heading east to the nice bit :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Nul points, my anonymous friend. Keep heading east to the nice bit :D

Southchurch has a nice bit!? :think: Near Park?

I'll keep stalking :search: ;):D

Joking apart, were you in Barnardo's last Friday at about 5pm. There was someone in there who looked very much like your photo.

It not, I think I've just meet your double.:eek:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Joking apart, were you in Barnardo's last Friday at about 5pm. There was someone in there who looked very much like your photo.

It not, I think I've just meet your double.:eek:
    No, it was lovely and sunny evening and I was stuck at my desk until 6pm :(
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I've been buying the single bananas in Aldi for a long while, simply because they are better value (assuming you don't pick really tiny ones) than buying a pack.

IIRC the packs are 88p for 5 bananas, whereas 5 single ones are 65p.

Thanks, I'll check when I'm next in there.:)
  • robin58
    edited 7 September 2018 at 1:33AM
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll check when I'm next in there.:)

Hint.

Do dig through all the single banana boxes. Some times they contain massive bananas.

Once picked up 5 massively large individual bananas which the size even surprised the cashier at the till.

When I got them home I weighed them. I had just under 2.5 kgs.

Not bad for 65p!
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No, it was lovely and sunny evening and I was stuck at my desk until 6pm :(

OK.

But I should have known it was not you.

She wasn't carrying a massive stack of books in her hands around the shop. :rotfl::rotfl:
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I noticed in the latest catalogue that Lakeland are selling a bag which enables you to keep bananas in the fridge and they last longer than usual so it should be possible to buy larger bunches if they are better value
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • juliebunny
    Options
    Unfortunately I just can't eat a massive banana each day, it's too much for me so I'm stuck buying the small ones ....I guess Tescos are just really making a price correction but I still think it's unfair to charge the same for a banana half the size of the massive ones.

I really must get organised and avoid the Metro stores if this is their attitude - it seems to be creating food gluttony or waste. We have a Waitrose a bit further away so I'll be checking them out today.

The bbc article was interesting and that was the same store I use too. This morning they STILL didn't have the new banana price programmed into the store. Even the staff were getting peed off with running around all the self service tills just to sort out the bananas and irritated customers. They were interested when I said I'd writted to complain and wanted to know what reply I had got back.
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    This is not Tesco generally, it's particular stores (Express or Metro).
    I've seen the same in Sainsbury's - the Locals in Central London charge per banana rather then weight. I just automatically assumed it was to make a profit from the lunch and breakfast buying crowd.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    All the metro/express stores in my town (all 5 of them!) have charged per banana since they've been open. They were 18p last time I bought one from there many years ago. Only the large superstores sold by weight, or per bag.
    Looks like the big stores are now pricing per banana as well...

This will be a huge money spinner for Tesco, as loose bananas are the biggest single selling line in the big4's stock, by volume. Consider that was the case when they were sold by weight & just imagine how much they'll make now its per banana. I used to buy about a kilo of them loose at Tesco which was around 78p, for 4 or 5 bananas. Today that would be £1/£1.25. That's a bit of a price hike, & considering the volume they sell them in could be worth a pretty penny.
    Or, conversely, they'll put that many people off that banana sales will go down.

Personally, I buy Aldis small bananas in a bag as I only eat them on my morning muesli, but some loyal Tesco customers may end up paying a lot more than they used to. I wonder if the price of the bagged bananas has gone up?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure