Problem with employer

Options
Hello, a couple of problems with my current employer.

I've worked there since October. I was told it was 3 months probation. There has never been any problems and all supervisions came back positive. I don't have a contract, I did mention this to my boss a few months ago and she seemed surprised and said she would get her lady to look into it.

I was in a meeting with co workers last week. I haven't finished some work which was meant to be done and she basically said in front of everyone that I'll get sacked if it's not done by the next meeting. Is that normal, cause I would've thought somewhere more private would be more appropriate. It seemed the whole meeting was assumed at me and I got blamed for everything and nobody else did anything wrong. The manager also impersonated me at one point.

I get the feeling they really don't want me there now and after that I don't want to be anyway. But since I'm on probation and with no contact would I get any notice pay or anything if they get rid?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi

I know it is hard but you need a frank conversation with them and ask the question of have I past probation.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Itzpc wrote: »
    Hello, a couple of problems with my current employer.

I've worked there since October. I was told it was 3 months probation. There has never been any problems and all supervisions came back positive. I don't have a contract, I did mention this to my boss a few months ago and she seemed surprised and said she would get her lady to look into it.

I was in a meeting with co workers last week. I haven't finished some work which was meant to be done and she basically said in front of everyone that I'll get sacked if it's not done by the next meeting. Is that normal, cause I would've thought somewhere more private would be more appropriate. It seemed the whole meeting was assumed at me and I got blamed for everything and nobody else did anything wrong. The manager also impersonated me at one point.

I get the feeling they really don't want me there now and after that I don't want to be anyway. But since I'm on probation and with no contact would I get any notice pay or anything if they get rid?

Even if you have passed probation, they can pretty much get "rid" of you in the first 2 years. They would have to pay notice, so you need a copy of your contract to establish what that is. It will also tell you how much notice you have to give them if you are leaving of your own accord.

In the meantime you must sort out & deliver whatever task it is you were supposed to have done.

You should also feedback privately to your boss that you do not like being mocked (impersonation) as that is a form of bullying.

What does your union think?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Itzpc
    Itzpc Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Ok thanks. But I don't have a contract. So that's why I'm wondering if I would get notice pay.
    It's a small but very successful company, about to employees, no union.

I am actually off sick now, genuinely, but it probably doesn't look good. I have a sick note, due back in later in the week as long as I'm well.
  • Itzpc
    Itzpc Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Doesn't let me edit so I meant to say about 40 employees
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Based on what you say, you do sound as if you might be being a bit over-sensitive and/or taking remarks the wrong way - understandable if you are feeling vulnerable. You need to talk to your employer and sort out where you stand - always easy to say and much harder to do, so make sure you are fully recovered and have thought through what you need to say before any meeting.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Snowflake generation?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Snowflake generation?
    What does that mean please.

Op contrary to what you say and think, you do have a contract. You had this the moment you walked into the place on your first day, although not written down. They have to abide by employers rules
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Snowflake generation?

Silly comment.

Most people would be miffed if their boss was mocking them and doing impressions of them in front of other people.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Snowflake generation?

I disagree. It's totally unprofessional for a manager to have a go at an employee in front of other people. The OP has every reason to be annoyed about it. Management seems to be poor if he hasn't been given a written contract despite asking about it and being told it would be sorted.

"Snowflake generation" refers to a generation with a sense of entitlement and a tendency to scream 'discrimination' or similar, when things aren't going the way they believe they should.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure