Google In App Purchases

Options
Hi all

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but don't know where else to turn.

My son was playing on my tablet 2 weeks ago and only just noticed that £120 has been taken via PayPal for a purchase made from Google Play Store.

The purchase in question was an in app purchase/s for coins via Jelly Splash (I thought I had 'Provide password at checkout' on but obviously didnt) I have disputed the transactions via PayPal and have sent the developer a message.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my money back?

Thanks

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7Cyanide58 wrote: »
    Hi all

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but don't know where else to turn.

My son was playing on my tablet 2 weeks ago and only just noticed that £120 has been taken via PayPal for a purchase made from Google Play Store.

The purchase in question was an in app purchase/s for coins via Jelly Splash (I thought I had 'Provide password at checkout' on but obviously didnt) I have disputed the transactions via PayPal and have sent the developer a message.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my money back?

Thanks

Not sure if you can to be honest, its your responsibility to make sure any passwords are enabled.

Dont have any cards linked to your Google account or paypal accounts linked to any apps.
  • 7Cyanide58
    7Cyanide58 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quick update for you all just in case this happens to anyone else.

I had a reply from PayPal basically saying that the payments were legit and they could not process any type of refund and to contact Google.

I have called Google Play Store Support and was on the phone for about 10 minutes, I explained the situation and they couldn't be more helpful they initially asked if I had contacted the developer to which I did but they hadn't responded over 24 hours ago so Google refunded me the full payment.

Google Play Store Support: 08003286081
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7Cyanide58 wrote: »
    Just a quick update for you all just in case this happens to anyone else.

I had a reply from PayPal basically saying that the payments were legit and they could not process any type of refund and to contact Google.

I have called Google Play Store Support and was on the phone for about 10 minutes, I explained the situation and they couldn't be more helpful they initially asked if I had contacted the developer to which I did but they hadn't responded over 24 hours ago so Google refunded me the full payment.

Google Play Store Support: 08003286081

Thats a result, take it as a warning sign and make sure measures are in place so it doesn't happen again.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's good news and pleased to hear you managed to get a refund, while it is partially your fault for not securing the phone at the same time I really dislike these predatory free to play games that have insane in game microtransactions.

I would echo DCFC79's advice and get the credit card off the account and use Google Play vouchers instead to add a small amount of credit as you need it. Although there's no children using my accounts I do this for all my systems as it means my credit card isn't at risk so if the account was compromised then all I can lose is a small amount of credit.

John
  • 7Cyanide58
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Thats a result, take it as a warning sign and make sure measures are in place so it doesn't happen again.

Absolutely. I've deleted all PayPal information and made sure there is a password at checkout :)
  • 7Cyanide58
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    That's good news and pleased to hear you managed to get a refund, while it is partially your fault for not securing the phone at the same time I really dislike these predatory free to play games that have insane in game microtransactions.

I would echo DCFC79's advice and get the credit card off the account and use Google Play vouchers instead to add a small amount of credit as you need it. Although there's no children using my accounts I do this for all my systems as it means my credit card isn't at risk so if the account was compromised then all I can lose is a small amount of credit.

John

Yeah absolutely it was my fault I shouldn't have gave him my device to play on without securing it, whilst I was on the phone I really was expecting them to say that there's nothing they could do and I'd just have to deal with it, let's face it charges £84.99 for some virtual coins is what these developers make there money off so imagine my surprise when they approved the refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure