Fraudulent Loans Using My Address

A criminal has obtained ten of thousands of pounds in a whole raft of fraudulent loans using my home address. This person has never lived at my address and I have never heard of them. I get constant letters from debt collection agencies, bailiffs and on one occasion had bailiffs call at my home. This is causing stress and anxiety. Is there an effective and easy way to stop all this other than responding to each and every letter, as I have now being doing for several years ?

Many thanks

Comments

• shocky_2
    shocky_2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    That's difficult. Have you reported this to the police?

If you keep getting contacted by the same agencies then you could threaten to sue them for harassment after explaining that the person does not live at your address, but otherwise I'm not sure what you can do other than replying to each letter. Might be worth having a template letter explaining clearly that this person does not live at your address.
  • likaleica wrote: »
    A criminal has obtained ten of thousands of pounds in a whole raft of fraudulent loans using my home address. This person has never lived at my address and I have never heard of them. I get constant letters from debt collection agencies, bailiffs and on one occasion had bailiffs call at my home. This is causing stress and anxiety. Is there an effective and easy way to stop all this other than responding to each and every letter, as I have now being doing for several years ?

Many thanks

Bailiffs don't usually just call at an address without any type of notice (unless, on certain occassions, they have prior knowledge the person they are seeking will actually be at the premises when they call)

So either you would have had a summons, or a DCA letter or something. Have you been ignoring them?

Anyway, if you are not the person the bailff is looking for, they will soon leave you (perhaps once they have acertained you are telling the truth when you say you have no knowlege of the debtor)

You shouldn't have too many issues. Most lenders will make at least fundametal checks before lending money. One of the most common reasons for refusal of credit is that the borrower is not on the electoral register at the address they give ... and I'm sure you haven't added the person have you.:cool:
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi likeleica, thank you for your query regarding fraudulent loans
    Whenever you receive mail to your address but addressed to someone else you need to just send it back stating addressee no longer at address or addressee unknown as it is a very serious matter to open other people's post and often a debt collector will stop pursuing a debtor at an address if they have their letters returned. If this is the same company then you should complain to them and ask them to take your address off their system as you have never heard of the addressee and if they continue you could make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. All you have to tell a bailiff if they come to the address is that you are not the person they are looking for and they should go and not return. You can find more information about making a complaint at https://www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure