Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've seen her give interviews on tv, she seems very down to earth. Libraries are great, as are charity shops :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 11 April 2018 at 1:46AM
    Options
    So many avid readers on DFW :).

My favourite books are psychologial thrillers and classic crime fiction. I also love Ruth Rendell, Margaret Yorke, Mary Higgins Clarke, Christopher Fowler, Karin Fossum, Henning Mankell, Ngaio Marsh, Sophie Hannah, Elly Griffiths, Reginald Hill, Susan Hill, PD James, Ragnar Jonasson, Camilla Lackberg, Peter May, Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin, Ellis Peters and Louise Penny.

Sorry for the long list, but they are all great crime authors :).

Thanks very much for giving us your list. Hairy:T. Please don't apologise for it!

There are a couple of authors on there that I've never read anything by yet:o but I'll try to seek them out at the library or charity shop:j. Thank you:T

My all-time favourite is Patricia Highsmith. Do you know her books? I also like biographies, not of current celebrities, but people who really mattered in the world. Unfortunately, a lot of biographies are really hard going, more like academic books with hundreds of references and footnotes. I need them to be a pleasurable read as well as informative;). I read one recently on Madame Tussaud. What an extraordinary life she led, especially the time in Paris during the French Revolution where she had to make death masks of the guillotined notables:eek:. It read more like a novel and kept me hooked throughout:j. On the other hand, the one I set aside halfway through because it was so heavy-going and I wasn't in the mood for it at the time was one on my favourite psychological thriller writer, Patricia Highsmith:eek:.

I once picked up a Jeffrey Archer out of curiosity at a car boot sale. Only 20p, what did I have to lose:rotfl:? I know people tend to love him or hate him but that man is a cracking storyteller and I couldn't put it down. It wasn't crime though. I've gone on to read lots more by him and haven't been disappointed once:j
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So many avid readers on DFW :).

My favourite books are psychologial thrillers and classic crime fiction. I also love Ruth Rendell, Margaret Yorke, Mary Higgins Clarke, Christopher Fowler, Karin Fossum, Henning Mankell, Ngaio Marsh, Sophie Hannah, Elly Griffiths, Reginald Hill, Susan Hill, PD James, Ragnar Jonasson, Camilla Lackberg, Peter May, Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin, Ellis Peters and Louise Penny.

Sorry for the long list, but they are all great crime authors :).

There are a few authors on there I haven't read, so thanks for the recommendations!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    edited 11 April 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I like a lot of the Scottish ones.
    Ian Rankin(who grew up near me :) ).
    Quintin Jardine who writes the Skinner series.
    I think they are just fab.
    They are set in places I know which is a bonus!!
    Lots more too :)

I've not read Quintin Jardine, will look out for them! I like Ian Rankin.

I love the Scottish locations. I've downloaded some of the Shetland books to my kindle, but haven't read them yet. I love the TV series!

CBC - I agree about Jeffrey Archer. I got given one and really enjoyed it. I've read a few since.

I've read a lot of Russian history since studying it at college. There's a lot of very readable books out there, and many about the last Tsar and his family are fascinating. I like Russian literature as well.
  • jwil
    Options
    Sorry HHD I could witter on about books forever! Maybe I should confine it to my diary instead of hijacking yours :o
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Sorry HHD I could witter on about books forever! Maybe I should confine it to my diary instead of hijacking yours :o

I'm guilty of that too, jwil:o. I haven't a diary of my own yet but maybe the chance to discuss books and writers with fellow booklovers is the incentive I need to start one;)

I'll pop over to see you on yours jwil:). I don't visit many diaries and think it's high time I started that too.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Just noticed that you will soon be in the 9's carbootcrazy :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    Options
    I'm guilty of that too, jwil:o. I haven't a diary of my own yet but maybe the chance to discuss books and writers with fellow booklovers is the incentive I need to start one;)

I'll pop over to see you on yours jwil:). I don't visit many diaries and think it's high time I started that too.

Aww thank you :) I'd read your diary :D
    beanielou wrote: »
    Just noticed that you will soon be in the 9's carbootcrazy :j :j :j

I've noticed that too, I don't know how you cope with that £5, it would be driving me crazy :D:D
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    @Jwil and @carboot Hijack away I'm always happy to talk about books :rotfl:. My list of favourite crime authors is longer than that list, but I didn't want to go on forever :rotfl:. It's great to introduce new authors to people :). I forgot to mention The Lake District series by Martin Edwards (seriously good!).

@jwill Russian history must be fascinating. I did Catherine the Great briefly in uni and she was a very interesting character.

@beanie I haven't tried Quentin Jardine but probably should.

I'm not sure I can read Jeffrey Archer because I hate the author so much :eek: :rotfl:.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options

Start a diary Carboot, I'll subscribe :T.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure