CMS after pension contributions

Options
murrays2
murrays2 Posts: 133 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 27 January 2020 at 8:45PM in Child support
Hi all,

Trying to ensure I pay the correct CMS. Calculator says put in income after pension contributions, but before income and NI.

I earn 29k. I pay 78 quid into an employers pension enrollment. Do I put my income in as 28.1k or do I put it in as 29k.

Bit confused and new to all this. Thanks.

Below is a link to my recent payslip. Can anyone advise on what I put in please:

https://ibb.co/KKxDx8m

Comments

• Comedy
    Comedy Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. You'd put 28.1 in. Your payslip is confusing though, your employer is not giving you tax relief on your pension contributions. Your tax should be £259.68 and NI £194.40 if you are getting tax relief. Do you get a rebate each year? If not then apply for one.
  • murrays2
    Options
    No, I don't get a rebate. I moved jobs in August 2019 going from £25k to £29k.

HMRC said I actually owed them money. I have been on the phone to them numerous times as my pay was getting messed up and it was supposed to have been resolved last month. I last spoke to them last month and they said I didn't owe anything and all payments were now up to date and my Jan pay is right, which is the link I showed.

How do I get tax relief?
  • Comedy
    Options
    It could well be that you are already getting it actually. When you see £77 deducted from your pay how much do you see go in to your pension? If it is £100 then you're getting relief, if it is £77 then you're not.

But either way you should use the lower figure for CMS calcs.
  • murrays2
    Options
    See that is what I thought. I phones CMS earlier and they said no put in 29k if it was a private pension I did myself it would be different, but because its an employer enrolled pension and I contribute to it, it has apparently already been calculated in my gross pay.
  • Comedy
    Options
    If I were you I'd go with the lower amount, the CM on the difference over the year will be negligible if you need to repay it (about £2 a week worst case). The CMS will also perform this calculation at some point to give an accurate amount.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    murrays2 wrote: »
    See that is what I thought. I phones CMS earlier and they said no put in 29k if it was a private pension I did myself it would be different, but because its an employer enrolled pension and I contribute to it, it has apparently already been calculated in my gross pay.

Training at CMS is still top notch I see... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure