Pension contribution taken from before tax or after?

Options
2»

Comments

• treadstone66
    Options
    Many thanks for all replies.
    I was given 3 pension options when I started this job.
    Opt out
    Opt in for an amount I specify (presumably giving me a partial pension)
    Opt in for the maximum amount.
    I chose the latter.
    I have more questions for HR and I'll do some more research on this subject as there seem to be some opposing points of view.
    Presumably it must make a difference to my pension that someone (employer / gvt) is putting into it. Again, op answered but I am happy for this thread to be kept open and I will post back.
    Thanks again
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was given 3 pension options when I started this job.
    Opt out
    Opt in for an amount I specify (presumably giving me a partial pension)
    Opt in for the maximum amount.

This doesn't make sense in relation to being a member of the Teachers Pension Scheme (TPS). You can't be partly in - you're either in or out. By 'teacher', you did mean a school teacher, yes? Who is your employer...?
    I have more questions for HR and I'll do some more research on this subject as there seem to be some opposing points of view.

Things are confused because you have been given DC scheme wording for a DB scheme (or so we are assuming - hence my question about your job and employer). The terms of the TPS itself aren't in doubt - as a statutory scheme, they are set out in law.
    Presumably it must make a difference to my pension that someone (employer / gvt) is putting into it.

In a DB scheme, the employer (or in the case of the TPS, the government) promise to pay a pension in the future that is defined in the present, and on one level, whether this pension is paid for up front or when it becomes due is a technicality.

In practice, having a private sector DB scheme that isn't healthily funded isn't a good idea, because the employer could go bust in the future, and so not be around to fund its pension promises when due. This consideration doesn't apply to the TPS, which is explicitly run on a 'pay as you go' basis, but even if it did, it's not that the employer contribution would make a difference to the pension as such, rather to the likelihood of the benefits promised actually being paid.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking at the OP's latest post, I am wondering if he is a teacher in an independent school with its own scheme, rather than the TPS.
  • treadstone66
    Options
    I am a teacher in a college.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here are the contribution rates if you belong to the Teachers' Pension Scheme: https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/campaigns/active/nqt-hub/member/how_much_youll_pay.aspx

...or do you belong to something else - is the college providing a different pension arrangement for staff?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the name of your pension scheme?
  • treadstone66
    Options
    It's TPS.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's TPS.

There is no choice of contribution rate in the TPS, so someone has got very confused:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/512/regulation/185/made

(PS - that table is for when the CARE scheme came in. The bands go up by CPI each year.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure