New job v current job - stress

Options
Hi all

I’ve asked a similar question previously but the situation is still ongoing but is now a little difference.

Have been in current role since September. I like the organisation and the management style in part!

I have another job offer and that starts on 1st December, both offered at the same time one was held up and had to start as the other had not formally offered.

*Current role*

Small gov organisation
Good line manager
Very political policies
Nobody in organisation understands my job or what I do
As the location is small all staff know each other well including HR
20 miles from home
Flexi working 2 days per month back
Home working possible
Type of organisation has disbanded in a number of places recently, no set plans for this to happen but can happen with 2 years notice

*New Role*

Large gov organisation
More staff
Has some problem staff I have managed before
More understanding of my role in this organisation
This is in my home town
Hours more fixed and less flexi working but some
No home working
Have a deputy manager who was appointed to the role I have been
This is a modern type of organisation and won’t be disbanded anytime soon
I get 5k extra here and a few days extra leave
It’s more of a get on and get done sort of place

I’m loosing sleep I don’t know what to do! People said I was lucky to have these choices, it’s causing me more upset than I thought. I would never have applied and gone through with both had I known.

Anyone know what I should do or where I could get some advice that will make me feel happy somehow.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not give each of those heading a score and see which one ends up with the highest.
    You also need to ask yourself this question, where will the country be in 2 years time?
    Is working from home really important to you versus the extra 5K
    Distance from home for both jobs, very important too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I keep making a decision and then changing my mind.

A hr manager who I told about the issue at one of these places told me to book leave and try the other! But then it leaves me unable to give notice, I’m a senior manager and it’s not my usual style at all.

I get what you mean about 2 years, it’s a good question right now isn’t it.

I just feel so unsure it’s making both options really stressful.

I think my biggest fear at the new role is getting a worse deal and then regretting moving, and then I fear I’ll get this either way just because I’ll always think what if
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nobody can decide for you of course - personally if I can cut commute distance/time/cost and either gain more disposable income by that alone or even better have a higher salary but closer to home.. that is the one i would go for.

Lager organisation, better options to move up or sideways if things do not go out that well.

5k extra per year and no travel cost really makes up for the flexi possibility.

Make a list f pluses and minuses and..do what is best for you
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To me, sounds like you are comfortable in your current job but the new job would be better for you. 5k extra, shorter commute, more security.

My personal opinion is don't stay in a job because you are comfortable and get on with people. People and atmospheres change, sometimes suddenly. Follow your career and hard benefits like shorter commutes and more money.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Toss a coin.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody can decide for you of course - personally if I can cut commute distance/time/cost and either gain more disposable income by that alone or even better have a higher salary but closer to home.. that is the one i would go for.

Without really knowing the situation for either job that's what stuck out for me when reading through the post and I wouldn't mind losing home working or flexi working if it meant I could work locally rather than 20 miles away.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Without really knowing the situation for either job that's what stuck out for me when reading through the post and I wouldn't mind losing home working or flexi working if it meant I could work locally rather than 20 miles away.

But it depends on the OP's personal circumstances.

Many years ago, our son had a condition where every month he needed a hospital appointment & bi monthly needed an overnight stay......the fact I had flexi time meant I could build up time so that I didn't need to eat into my annual leave.

Nowadays flexi time would come in useful for appointments that I need to attend for my mum.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Options
    But it depends on the OP's personal circumstances.

Many years ago, our son had a condition where every month he needed a hospital appointment & bi monthly needed an overnight stay......the fact I had flexi time meant I could build up time so that I didn't need to eat into my annual leave.

Nowadays flexi time would come in useful for appointments that I need to attend for my mum.

As I said, I don't know the situation for either job but the OP says the second position does offer an element of flexible working and furthermore without a 20 mile trip each way it's likely to be much quicker for appointments or similar.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    assj wrote: »
    Has some problem staff I have managed before
    Assuming you are managing them - this is where you will (maybe more than) earn your 5k!
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    You might regret leaving your current role. You might regret staying in it. So those two regrets kind of cancel each other out. Forget about what you 'might' regret.

Concentrate on the actual differences - more money, less travelling (which equals even more money), more security, and a role you're familiar with. What's not to love? As to relationships with fellow workers - 50% of that is up to you, so you do have some control over how well that goes.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure