PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Strange tasting food.

Options
Slightly odd one that only seems to happen when I'm cooking meals with mince. It's getting a very unpleasant taste that makes it inedible - sort of a soap metallic taste. It's something in the sauce, not the mince itself. I've even bought a new frying pan in case that was the problem.
Tonight I've narrowed it down to either the tinned tomatoes or the red lentils. However I use different brands of tomatoes which doesn't seem to make a difference, and I've replaced the lentils with a fresh lot to no avail.
Any ideas what it could be, before I can never have spag Bol, chilli or cottage pie ever again?
I'm tending more towards the lentils but I've used them before without a problem so I'm not sure what's changed.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try using a wooden spoon - and try not overcooking the tomatoes.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's probably the tinned tomatoes - have you thought about buying the cartons to see if that helps.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you be pregnant?!
  • caronc
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    Could you be pregnant?!
    That was my first thought LOL - horrible metallic taste with some foods both times:eek:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Options
    Chance'd be a fine thing.
    I always use a wooden spoon, and I smelled the change tonight as soon as I added the tomatoes and lentils, so it's not overcooking.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • caronc
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Chance'd be a fine thing.
    I always use a wooden spoon, and I smelled the change tonight as soon as I added the tomatoes and lentils, so it's not overcooking.

There quite a bit of chat on line re this not being uncommon - I'd try a tetra pack of toms and see it that helps if not you might have become overly sensitive to elements in the toms thereselves:(
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are a few medical conditions that can cause a metallic smell or taste. Does everyone taste and smell the metallic the same as yourself? If not maybe you should see the Dr?
    Hope you get to the cause.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since you've narrowed it down to 2 ingredients, try leaving the lentils out of the next one. You'll soon know which of the 2 is the culprit.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was a thing a few years back about pine nuts causing metallic tastes in some people for a few days at a time. You've not had any of those recently have you?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    Are you on any meds? A lot of tablets can alter taste. I had plenty of anti Ds do that as well as antibiotics
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure