Job prospects after moving to Anglesey?

Options
I posted on the house renting board a few weeks ago looking for pointers regarding relocating to Wales, that got some good responses and we have now narrowed down our area to Anglesey.

We have been doing some research and the only issue that we can see that could arise is the job situation, simply because there don't seem to be that many around :) We would both have to work full time, so it is a concern.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who lives / works on Anglesey about what the jobs market is actually like. It's all very well searching the job sites, but the people that know best are the people from the area!

Also to add - this is not a holiday home situation, we are looking to relocate permanently and become part of a community :)

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only person I know who lived and worked on Anglesey had to relocate off the island (and out of Wales) to find another job when the company he worked for closed their operation there.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Been a while since I was up that way for Uni but the main reason I didn't stay in an area I loved was the total lack of available jobs at anything above low wages. The reality is that Holyhead and also Bangor or Caernarvon are pretty small places with a lot of outlying villages whose inhabitants need jobs in town. If you're looking for supermarket checkout type work then given enough time you may well get it but anything looking like a career job or profession is going to be very hard to come by. I keep having a nose from time to time in a couple of areas but I'd be looking at a 2/3rds reduction in salary with anything I can find.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • oldposter
    oldposter Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both! Unfortunately I think that you have answered our fears. As I said, we have done some research looking on the usual job sites and to be honest, we couldn't find anything really above minimum wage.

Most of the advertised roles were casual / seasonal jobs in bars and that kind of thing. Now whilst we are not 'high-flyers' looking for a high salary career, we would need a steady income to survive so casual and seasonal work wouldn't really support us.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you speak Welsh?
  • dimestorediamond
    Options
    I think it would be worth noting that Welsh is far more commonly spoken up North than it is down here in the South. It could be a hinderance for some job roles.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    It's cheap to live there because there aren't many jobs around. I told you this when you posted on the other board. There are lots of nice parts of the UK that are cheap to live in, and the reason why this is, in all cases, is that it's very hard to get a job. Why do you think everyone has to move away from them?
  • saker75
    saker75 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Start your own business?

Become a remote virtual assistant (need good Internet)
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say Anglesey is one of the worst possible places to move to if you need full time permanent jobs. If you are lucky you might something minimum wage or temporary but would be struggling to be able to some something "skilled" in your area of expertise. I can't even think of a city of size that is in commutable distance.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    saker75 wrote: »
    Start your own business?

Become a remote virtual assistant (need good Internet)

How many landlords do you think are going to take them on if they announce that as their plan for paying the rent?
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, you can live wherever you want, and you've chosen Anglesey. Then you realise you can't get jobs?

Can I suggest you start the search from the beginning, this time looking at places where you can get work?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure