PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about the horses my husband feeds for his friend every day. (A great excuse for him to go over to his friend's house, drink beer and play pool :D )
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Packsaddles are for Packs not people. You can hang stupendous amounts off a good packsaddle but sit on one & you'll do yourself a mischief, regardless of padding.

Time spent learning to persuade a horse to shove a curious nose through a rope loop is blimming useful when you wish to obtain control of it. Says a major fan of windfalls & cheap carrots, with a strangely unhandled skipping rope.

Nothing wrong with beer & pool in a survival situation. You have to pass the time somehow while cooking the fattest horse...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Trying to ride one of those bikes on our hills in snow & dark? Strikes me as a self inflicted injury waiting to happen.

Bear in mind that, in an EMP situation, there'd be very few vehicles moving on the roads.

There would, however, be millions blocking the roads, hence why a moped/small motorcycle would be far more useful than a working car, van etc.
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I've never had horse meat (that I know of) but 1 billion Chinese can't be all wrong. And the French!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D I've just done a YS raid on a mini Tosspots and made off [STRIKE]without paying [/STRIKE] err bought quite a lot of the cheapy teabags I use at t'office plus some very reduced bags of those giant cookies.

The latter are occasionally needed at t'office to celebrate/ commisrate * certain things and I don't like to pay full price. They've been de-YS'd, the bags folded over and wrapped in clingfilm and nestled into the freezer. For future needs, of course, not present consumption.

* Like it being a Monday, for example.

I like horses and can ride tolerably well and, although I do prefer to have the beast saddled, I can manage without if necessary.

:o Should any of you need to rustle a horsie, or a cow, take my advice and go equiped with a bucket and they'll come straight to you. Also, if dressed in scruffy country clothing and wellies, and seen carrying a bucket down a lane somewhere, you will be assumed be be about legitimate business.

De-handled skipping ropes can lurk in the bottom of said bucket, of course:rotfl:

Full disclosure; I have eaten horse, in Paris. I prefer beef.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ooh... GQ, I never knew those cookies froze. Mind you, the last thing I need is anymore temptations lurking in the freezer. My prepping needs to involve getting fitter and losing weight before my scheduled hospital appointments starting in May. I've had a lovely 3 years off from surgery, but need to have a checkup this year which involves a biopsy (and my lovely consultant has retired unexpectedly, which I'm finding a bit stressful, as well as worrying about why).
  • greenbee
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Guys, if you're heading to HASDA this aft, carry the folding stuff: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3887294/Chaos-Asda-checkouts-card-machines-break-leading-gridlock-stores-Britain.html

Now, I wonder how many people will decide that relying entirely on card transactions in future will be unwise and that it's good to have some cash with you?

The problem with living out in the sticks is that accessing cash can be problematic (no issues parting with it... but more places accept it than will issue it). So card-based transactions are handy - and contactless/mobile phone payment systems for low-value transactions are even better.

I do try to keep cash - but often run out, as I simply haven't had a chance to get to a bank/post office during opening hours, or passed an ATM for weeks. So I spend on cards if I have the option, even for small transactions.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    ooh... GQ, I never knew those cookies froze. Mind you, the last thing I need is anymore temptations lurking in the freezer. My prepping needs to involve getting fitter and losing weight before my scheduled hospital appointments starting in May. I've had a lovely 3 years off from surgery, but need to have a checkup this year which involves a biopsy (and my lovely consultant has retired unexpectedly, which I'm finding a bit stressful, as well as worrying about why).
    :o Ooops! Sorry to have been the imp of Satin (sic) leading you into bad habits. You can freeze cake, too. Norralorra people know that.

They thaw quite quickly in a cookie-deficiency emergency, I find. Especially if you hold one between the palms of your hands, as if praying.:rotfl:

Know what you mean about the consultants. In the twenty years I've had my rare condition diagnosed, I have run through about 4 of them. Lost one to retirement last year and had a new one and have now been passed to a new-new one.

Bygorry, consultants are like shoes, it takes time to get used to them and it's a bit discombobulating when they leave.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    In shock now about tea. I drink a lot of tea....
  • greenbee
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o Ooops! Sorry to have been the imp of Satin (sic) leading you into bad habits. You can freeze cake, too. Norralorra people know that.

They thaw quite quickly in a cookie-deficiency emergency, I find. Especially if you hold one between the palms of your hands, as if praying.:rotfl:

Know what you mean about the consultants. In the twenty years I've had my rare condition diagnosed, I have run through about 4 of them. Lost one to retirement last year and had a new one and have now been passed to a new-new one.

Bygorry, consultants are like shoes, it takes time to get used to them and it's a bit discombobulating when they leave.

I knew about cake... and that frozen cake (and brownies) are perfectly edible :) I'm just rather disconcerted to know I now have yet another source of temptation. Still, it's better than having them out of the freezer... after all, then you have to eat them before they go off!

I need to go and see my GP to talk about which consultant to transfer to. My appointment has automatically been changed but there are options - I have a choice of three hospitals, and would normally go to a closer one. I stayed with this consultant when I moved house because I could (actually, my move was influenced by how far I could go and still see him!). It would be nice if they would arrange handovers for long-term patients - in this dept most people are discharged within 12 months, so my annual check-up and ongoing treatment make me a bit different (they also guarantee seeing the consultant, not one of his minions!). I guess I'm just worried that someone else will decide to try different treatment and start experimenting, when I'm quite happy with what was agreed as it works and I'm well for the first time in decades. So I need to get my GP on side in case I need to have a tantrum :) I'm perfectly capable of refusing to sign consent forms (I regularly do this until the anaesthetist agrees to my terms...). But I have until May to worry about the new consultant :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure