Advice for husband

Options
This is a bit of a long story so bear with me. I posted about this on another board but theres been another development since then. My husband currently works 40 hours a week for a charity supporting the homeless as a cleaner and works in several different sites. He has to walk inbetween each site so can spend up to another 15 hours a week walking.

About 15 months ago his mum died suddenly and he had about 8 days off work. 2 days after he went back his boss asked to see him and said his work had deteriorated in the last couple of weeks. He said "you do realise I havent been here?". But they said they didnt care that his mum had died. Now suddenly out of the blue yesterday another phonecall from the same boss asking him to go for another meeting on monday and said "something for you to think about all over the weekend. Your work has severley deteriorated further". Today hes spoken to the individual managers of the projects he works for and none of them can believe whats happening. I think it could be a case of hes doing too much. Some of it is heavy industrial cleaning and hes often clearing up poop, sick and blood.

I think its a case of the charity he works for has run out of money and instead of make him redundant, because hes worked there a lonv time so will owe him redundancy pay, they make up some cook and bull story that he can do nothing about. I think that even if he got on his hands and knees and licked the floor clean they would still look for a reason to get rid of him.

So is there any advice for us here?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is a bit of a long story so bear with me. I posted about this on another board but theres been another development since then. My husband currently works 40 hours a week for a charity supporting the homeless as a cleaner and works in several different sites. He has to walk inbetween each site so can spend up to another 15 hours a week walking.

About 15 months ago his mum died suddenly and he had about 8 days off work. 2 days after he went back his boss asked to see him and said his work had deteriorated in the last couple of weeks. He said "you do realise I havent been here?". But they said they didnt care that his mum had died. Now suddenly out of the blue yesterday another phonecall from the same boss asking him to go for another meeting on monday and said "something for you to think about all over the weekend. Your work has severley deteriorated further". Today hes spoken to the individual managers of the projects he works for and none of them can believe whats happening. I think it could be a case of hes doing too much. Some of it is heavy industrial cleaning and hes often clearing up poop, sick and blood.

I think its a case of the charity he works for has run out of money and instead of make him redundant, because hes worked there a lonv time so will owe him redundancy pay, they make up some cook and bull story that he can do nothing about. I think that even if he got on his hands and knees and licked the floor clean they would still look for a reason to get rid of him.

So is there any advice for us here?

How long is a long time?

Get a copy of the policy. (how old is he?)

Just so we're clear his mum dying (whilst tragic, and you have my sympathies) is legally irrelevant. It's also 15 months ago, so not applicable.

If these managers will stick their heads above the parapet they can write him witness statements.
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you think his job would be made redundant?
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    Regardless of the merits or otherwise of their claims, this is a performance management issue - your husband should therefore get a copy of the organisation's performance management policy and ensure that whatever they do, they do it in accordance with the procedures as set out in the policy. This usually involves varying levels of warnings, opportunities to improve, progress meetings etc.

However, ultimately it's not illegal to sack someone for poor performance, as long as the correct policy is followed. Nor is a bereavement, regardless of how recently it may have happened, a get out of jail free card if the quality of his work has deteriorated.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    How long is a long time?

Get a copy of the policy. (how old is he?)

Just so we're clear his mum dying (whilst tragic, and you have my sympathies) is legally irrelevant. It's also 15 months ago, so not applicable.

If these managers will stick their heads above the parapet they can write him witness statements.

Agreed, but he needs to be careful who he is talking to. He shouldn't be discussing this with colleagues and if one of said managers reports that he has been, this could get him into further trouble. First and foremost the managers will be wanting to look after their own jobs.

If he is being managed out, I'd suggest to start looking for a new job. As long as the employer plays it by the book, it's going to be a no win situation for the worker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure