Couple of tax issues

Options
johanne
johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi i have a couple of questions about tax.

Firstly last tax year I think ive paid too much tax.Had a horrible year of bad employer, unemployment and redundancy! The details of my yearly income BEFORE tax are as follows:

INCOME FROM 3 EMPLOYERS: 1730.92

INCOME FROM REDUNDANCY PAYMENT SERVICE:

INSOLVENCY PAY:£240.24
NOTICE PAY: £8.89

JOB SEEKERS ALLOWENCE : £629.30

TOTAL GROSS INCOME £2609.35

TOTAL DEDUCTIONS £358.10

NB I recieved £54.82 in taxback already from the Redunancy Payment service so

TOTAL TAX DEDUCTED I HAVE NOT RECIEVED BACK £303.28

IF im right.... i should be able to claim that £303.28 back shouldnt i? As i didnt earn my total personal allowence last year. Is that correct?

Secondly.... since starting at my present employment in February i seem to have had all sorts of messing about with my tax code!

Paydate 25/03/05 (5 weeks pay)

Gross pay £1314.66
Tax £264.17
NI £94.55
Tax Code: 474L X

Paydate 01/04/05 (1 weeks pay)

Gross Pay 207.20
Tax £20.63
NI £12.78
Tax Code: 474L X

NEW FINANCIAL YEAR

Paydate 22/04/05 (3 weeks pay)

Gross pay £819.13
Tax £103.27
NI £59.08
Tax Code 494L

Paydate 20/05/05 (4 weeks pay)

Gross Pay £1155.05
Tax £253.44
NI 85.68
Tax Code BR X

Paydate 17/06/05 (4 weeks pay)

Gross Pay £176.44
NI £47.00
Tax Code BR X

I know im now on emergency tax i thought it was cos my p45 didnt go in till about April because the DWP (my previous employer) didnt send it till then. But im wondering do i just contact the tax office and tell them im on emergency tax? Or will they be sorting it? Im guessing ive been over taxed too so do i have to claim that back myself or will they automatically pay me back via PAYE through Tesco (my employer) when its sorted.

Sorry but i dont like dealing with people on the phone and really wanted to know where i stood before ringing the tax office cos i get flustered and stutter badly and then people cant understand me. :o:o

Comments

• nlpnlp
    nlpnlp Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    The tax year runs from 6 April to the following 5 April. The personal allowance for the year to 5 April 2005 was £4,745 and assuming you had no other income than that set out above, you should be due back all the tax (but not the national insurance) deducted from your earnings in the year to 5 April 2005.

As you didn't have your P45 when you started with your new employer you should have completed a new starter form P46 and you correctly went onto the emergency code of 474LX - the X stands for week one which means that each week you get 1 weeks free pay, but not any from the previous weeks.

As you were employed by your current employer at 6 April 2005 you should have gone onto the correct tax code at the next payment date 22/04/05, which should have been 474L (now 489L). You have then for some reason been changed onto a BR code, which means that you have no free pay and are taxed at a flat rate of 22%. The reason for this is usually because you have another job against which your allowances are being given. If this is not the case then you should let the tax office that deals with you know as soon as possible. You can do this in writing or over the phone. the address and references should be on the notices of coding sent to you each time a new code is issued - if not ask someone in the payroll department where you work. They may want to know your recent work history, which for you is a little bit complicated because you have had a number of employers. What has possibly happened is that they know you started with one of your old employers but have never been told that you ceased working there. therefore, they believe you have 2 jobs. A quick explanation that all previous jobs have ceased and your current job is your only or main one should get the tax code changed. When it is changed it will be back dated to 6 April 2005 therefore any tax for the year you have overpaid to date will be repaid. It might also be worth asking about claiming a refund for the year to 5 April 2005 at the same time - if you get a name or reference to send your papers to there is less chance of it getting lost.

One final thing, Inland Revenue staff are almost always helpful, but they are busy so you may have to hold on the telephone before you get answered and papers do get lost so try and keep a copy of anything you send in to them.
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    thanks so much. I did fill out a p46 when i started as i knew i wouldnt have a p45 straight away as i only did 3 days work at the jobcentre on a temp contract..... after being made redundant 2 weeks earlier..... then found out my 2nd day there that i had the permanent job at Tesco starting 2 days later... :rotfl: so left as it was soul sucking working for the DWP, an hours travel a day blah blah... I hadnt even signed my contract with the DWP till 3 weeks AFTER i started at Tesco! :rolleyes: Silly isnt it?

I havent recieved a coding notice since i first starting working in tax year 2002/2003! :confused:

i dont know whether to write to my local tax office or what? As ive been told Tesco have their own tax office as it employs so many people :eek: But id have to contact my normal tax office over claiming my taxback last year wouldnt i?
  • ctm_2
    ctm_2 Posts: 479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ring your tax office first. Your employer will have a PAYE Tax referenc. It will be 123/blah where 123 is the Tax Office, and blah is any combination of letters and numbers, which is the employer reference.

Find that out and then look up which office to ring on https://www.hmrc.gov.uk, or just ring any number (look in the phone book for Inland Revenue (or HM Revenue & Customs as it is now called) and ring that. They will tell you who you should ring. You will need your National Insurance Number when you call.

Tell them everything above, and they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

(For info: Your tax office will be the tax office that deals with your (main) employer, so in your example the tax office that deals with Tesco will be your tax office)
  • nlpnlp
    nlpnlp Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    If you are not receiving notice of codings then the Inland Revenue must not have your up to date address, so check this with them as well. Tesco used to be dealt with in LP Lothians tax office phone number 0845 3021409 reference 847/T2, although tax offices seem to change more often than most people change socks.

Good luck!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I've had similar problems in past and not known in which town my employers tax office was. I rang my own tax office and gave them my NI details and they told me which tax office to contact.

I had to send in a letter but got the tax refunded to me within a few weeks.
  • sarahlouise210
    sarahlouise210 Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Options
    The tax office is LP Lothians but the reference is now 846/T1 (used to be 847/T1) Address is Lothians Area, Saughton House,Broomhouse Drive,Edinburgh,EH11 4XG

previous post was correct-if you have had no coding notices your address must be incorrect.
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My daughter works for Tesco's on and off and each time she starts, despite completing a P46 saying they are her only/main employer, they put her on a BR code. It seems this is their mode of practise. LP Lothians tax office should be able to sort out the correct tax code for you and you will get a refund of any tax overpaid from 06/04/05 in your pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure