PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Coping with daily wardrobe & clothes changes

Options

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watching this post with interest - I use the "The Chair" method, with limited success:rotfl: hope I can learn something more useful!

I also am a longtime fan of "the chair"
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure how many posters on here are women but, if you think about it, men have traditionally been wearing suits regularly and wouldn't dream of having them cleaned daily. I'm the same with my jackets, skirts, trousers, dresses, coats etc.

I think what's crucial is that we're clean underneath. I hang my clothes overnight to air them a bit before they go back in the wardrobe.

The only things that get washed after one wear are knickers and anything I mess up by spilling something or doing a messy job.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Had another think about this since and decided the easiest method to deal with this (and keep my clothes in their appropriate categories/colours/etc) is to hang them overnight on that pulled-out section of my freestanding clothes rail (just a couple of items could be hung over doors - assuming the handles of clothes hangers are movable).

Then put back into wardrobe and on rest of clothes rail with the hangers the wrong way round.

So hangers the right way round (ie with open "hooks" at top pointing towards wall) when clean and hung the other way round (ie with "hook" at top pointing towards me) when lightly worn.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use the chair and hooks on the back of the bathroom and bedroom doors

Mr Suki uses the floor
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Am reassured to read from this that quite a few us belong to the "Sluts R Us" brigade and that there will be no rush to nominate our immaculate bedrooms for display in "Homes & Gardens" :rotfl:
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I upgraded my chair to a valet stand - given that I seldom got to sit on the chair, because of the clothes, it made more sense to have something designed to store clothes.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I upgraded my chair to a valet stand - given that I seldom got to sit on the chair, because of the clothes, it made more sense to have something designed to store clothes.

That makes a lot of sense, given that most bedroom chairs are often too cluttered with clothes to be able to sit on! I must Google and see what's available. Anybody have any suggestions as to what type of facilities on them they find most useful and which should be a predominate feature, ie trouser hanging rails, more than one coat hanger facility, etc?
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have 5 pets (one dog sheds fur a lot) so leggings, dresses and skirts get washed after one wear. Underwear only gets worn once, obviously.

Cardigans I wear a few times before I wash them as they don't get as messy as my dog normally jumps up on my lap or legs!:D

I just shake the cardigan down and hang it back up in the wardrobe at the end of the rail so I know I have worn it more than once.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Outer clothes are dumped on a chair at night then folded the next day, making them look at bit tidier and preventing a Mount Dumpmore!Socks, underwear etc are placed into the linen basket when taken off.
    I put tops etc on hangers on an over the door hanger. I try to wear them again within a few days then they go into the wash. Trousers are hung over the back of the chair so they don't get too creased and are ready for re-wear! Not perfect but works quite well for me!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Simby wrote: »
    Wear once wash once is my motto.. if I put something on and wear it I wash it

Only few exceptions coats .. dry clean or wash depending on material once a month.

Hats scarfs once a week wash

Leather gloves discard after 3 months
    This helps neither the garment nor the environment. Its not just the water and detergent, what I didn't think about previously was the obvious: the microfibres that enter the system. As for leather gloves, is there any reason that you can't turn them inside out and wash / air them?

I have more than enough clothes to last me for the next 40+ years of my life (yes, seriously!) and knowing just how much resource goes into textile production now don't intend to buy any more, unless I expand or shrink significantly. This is what comes of buying into consumerism in my late twenties - early thirties. I was working so hard at the time that retail was my therapy :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure