PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Coping with daily wardrobe & clothes changes

Options
I was looking around our bedroom strewn with clothes from the last few days & wondering how I can better organise myself.

With the changing weather I might wear something different, ie warmer or cooler, and temporarily discard the previous day's shorts, trousers, tops etc. Although not dirty enough to require washing yet, I don't really want to out them back in the wardrobe and "forget" that they may not be pristine fresh and unworn for its next appearance . The result can be that I have several different changes of clothing untidily lying around.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, do you have an organised system for dealing with it? It seems so wasteful of water and electricity to throw everything into the wash after only one wear when it's not grubby just to keep the bedroom looking tidy.

Comments

• Brambleberry
    Brambleberry Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Watching this post with interest - I use the "The Chair" method, with limited success:rotfl: hope I can learn something more useful!
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use one end of a wardrobe (I actually have a wardrobe which has a smaller hanging section and use that, but a full width wardrobe could be adapted), and things are re-hung for another wear. Nothing really dirty gets put in there. In a previous arrangement I separated it from the fresh hung clothing with a suit bag (not sure what they are called) on a hanger. Keeps the once worn completely away from the fresh, but also serves to remind what can be worn again.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My wardrobe only holds clean clothes. Any clothes that have been worn, but are not yet dirty enough to wash, are hung on a coat rack I have put up on the wall (where the door opens, so it is hidden by the door) for this purpose. I make sure to wear those clothes again within the week.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Turn the worn clothes inside out before hanging them up in the wardrobe.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could use coloured pegs.

One colour for "worn once"
    Another for "worn twice"
    And so on..... up to a colour for "who cares, worn lots of times, think I can still get away with it"

OR - a peg clipped on for "washed/not worn this yet" so you're tracking only CLEAN clothes and know the others have been worn at least once.
  • Chop-D
    Chop-D Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have low storage boxes that we slide under the bed that we keep half dirty clothes in, this seems to work well if you have the space under the bed available!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. You surely don't wash or dry clean winter clothes each time they're worn.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    In my view, clothes either clean or dirty.

If they’re dirty then they go in the bag which I use for dirty washing, if they’re clean enough to wear again then I’ll just hang them up with everything else. As PollyPenny says, in winter you don’t wash things every time.

I’m consciously trying to wash things less for ecological reasons. If it hasn’t got dinner spilled down it and hasn’t been worn on a boiling hot day, back in the wardrobe.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Simby
    Simby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wear once wash once is my motto.. if I put something on and wear it I wash it

Only few exceptions coats .. dry clean or wash depending on material once a month.

Hats scarfs once a week wash

Leather gloves discard after 3 months
  • Yellow_mango
    Options
    In theory I reckon if it’s clean enough to wear again, it’s clean enough to go in the cupboard / wardrobe with the other clean clothes.

In practice of course most of my clothes are strewn all over my floor in various states of cleanliness... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure