7.3 kW Bi Facial Rooftop Panels: ~7 year ROI: Fact OR fiction?

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    4. The figures seem woefully optimistic: surely nobody needs to be paying 19p/kWh for electricity?

If you include the standing charge some of us do, or have done. I've been with Ebico paying 21p-ish on their zero SC tariff as at my low consumption when you divided standing charge costs by consumption and added it to cheaper unit rates theirs was the cheapest. Coming to the end of a deal that was no longer the case and I've signed up to a time of day tariff which can go up to 30p a unit at peak! If I control when I consume and get the average down to 16.26p a unit it will prove to be a cheaper tariff. Late evening, night and early morning it is well under that (8-10p) and even during the day e.g 9.5p between 11.30 and 12.00 today.

But yes, I agree with your optimism point and suppose am illustrating how all our circumstances can vary and need to be examined on a case by case basis.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you include the standing charge some of us do, or have done. I've been with Ebico paying 21p-ish on their zero SC tariff as at my low consumption when you divided standing charge costs by consumption and added it to cheaper unit rates theirs was the cheapest. Coming to the end of a deal that was no longer the case and I've signed up to a time of day tariff which can go up to 30p a unit at peak! If I control when I consume and get the average down to 16.26p a unit it will prove to be a cheaper tariff. Late evening, night and early morning it is well under that (8-10p) and even during the day e.g 9.5p between 11.30 and 12.00 today.

But yes, I agree with your optimism point and suppose am illustrating how all our circumstances can vary and need to be examined on a case by case basis.

This is slightly more complicated than mere 'unit rate' comparisons. I suppose the point I should have made is that nobody NEEDS to be paying such high unit rates. To work out the savings on the install then the calculation needs to be based on the best available (average unit) rate which would be available without the PV. I agree that the standing charge needs to be taken into account, although I don't think that was what the OP was being quoted as this then needs to be compared to the best available rate for the lower consumption with PV, again taking into account the standing charge.

I of course fully respect your reasons for going with higher unit rates which work out as better value for money given your low consumption.

I hope this is all clear. I still stand by my original point (even if I said it wrong) calculating savings with a 19p unit rate is ridiculous and for me undermines the credibility of the installer.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    What is the theoretical maximum output of this system - 4kWh, 5kWh ... or is it limited by the inverter?

The panel is officially rated as a 400 Watts. So 10X400 = 4kW. However, this particular bi-facial panel is capable of and has been observed generating upto 520 Watts despite the lower rating. So theoretical maximum for this system is 5.2 kW.
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's going to be limited by the lowest factor in the system. If the panels can hit 5.2kw then if the Inverter is limited to 3.68 KW, or whatever the non DNO permission limit is, then you'll never get more than 3.68kw out of it. Now if you've gotten a quote, and permission, for a higher powered inverter then that's a different question.

You could have 2MW of panels installed but if your inverter is 3.68kw then that's all you'll get.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Screwdriva wrote: »
    Point taken on the Algae - we will plan to use algae resistant white paint to try to address this. Any recommendations on the best roof paint options are welcome.

If you have a crown decorator centre (other manufacturers are available) near you, go in and chat with the folk in there.
    Tell them what you want to do and they will say if its feasible or not. The algae resistance may depend on angle of attack etc. They should also advise on primers etc.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 December 2019 at 10:15AM
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    I could be wrong ... but I seem to remember that it's the rated output of your array that's required to be under 16A (unless you have DNO approval for a higher export).

What is the theoretical maximum output of this system - 4kWh, 5kWh ... or is it limited by the inverter?

As ABrass explains it's the export potential of the system that the DNO cap at 3.68kW for post install registering. That's why I explained earlier, a 5kWp system [edit - in UK weather conditions] should be an OK compromise through a 3.68kW capped inverter.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    While we could use the remaining 40% roof area, I'm keen to save as much real estate as possible for a future expansion of panels, as technology progresses.

Hiya, I've been pondering this for a few days, as I agree with your idea, but not sure the economics work. Why?

Well, the theory is good, panel efficiencies are increasing all the time, and so you could in the future put more Wp's on that 40% space than you could today, and they'll cost less.

But ..... installing PV is quite expensive, despite the panels being relatively cheap, that's because there are a lot of additional/fixed costs. The obvious one for you, will be scaffolding, given the height of your building. Paying again, perhaps £500-£700, for another scaffolding install will drive up the cost of the additional PV massively, as will (if necessary) an inverter upgrade.

Plus an additional job, is going to cost more in labour, paperwork etc etc.

I'm sorry to be negative about your idea, as at first it sounds sensible, but you may find the additional PV capacity actually costs more proportionately than it would today.

Also, consider the cost and CO2 savings, yes, the future install will be more efficient, but you may never get back the difference due to the lost 5-10yrs. Let's guess at 30% more efficiency (generation for the given space), then as an example, if today's panels would generate 1,000kWh's pa, the better later panels would generate 1,300kWh's pa (from the same roof space). That additional 300kWh's pa might sound good, but they are starting 5,000-10,000kWh's behind.

Obviously they will make up even more than this in the 5-10yrs when they outlast the 'old' panels, but that takes us into a circular argument of waiting forever.

You are not wrong, but ..... if it was me, I would go for not quite the best panels (for a big saving) and cover as much roof as is possible in one go.

Hope this helps, and apologies for pee'ing on your parade somewhat, but we've all learnt that nothing is simple and obvious with PV. :D
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Martyn's logic is, al always, sound.

If you took that approach then a way to future proof would be to make sure the system is battery-ready, so that once batteries become economically viable you can essentially just plug and play into your installed system without having to swap inverter etc.

Not fool proof of course as technology changes and may not be plug and playable when the time comes.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Response from Light Renewables after I went back to them following comments on this thread below. In a way, reassuring that they respond even on a Sunday.

"The export tariff I quoted is based on the export rate from 1st January 2020 when the SEG is Rolled out. The only company paying a export rate at this time is Octopus energy. They are paying 5.35p per kWh but in January all the renewable energy companies will be competing for your custom and you can negotiate your export rate.

You normally use half of the energy you produce with your system that's 2250 to 2500 kWh per year but your energy usage will be alot higher than normal. The Gas savings is based on you using 3 kWh per day per year."
    3kwh x 365 days x 3.5p/kwh (above average cost per unit of gas) = £38 so very much what the rest of us have been saying re the value of the iboost diversion.

Make sure that when you are valuing 'own use' electricity you only use the electricity unit rate for electricity units saved and use the gas rate for gas units saved.

I still can't understand why you are using such a high value for electricity prices either, any search will find you a much lower rate.
    I think....
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2019 at 3:18PM
    Options
    Generally solar panels are only "economic" if you use nearly all their output yourself. This may work for an energy intensive business but as most of the output will be in the summer and the middle of the day it is less useful for a domestic house. Most households use their least electricity on sunny summer days...

The only other time it is economic is if your cost of electricity is very high. Which it isn't now but it might be in the future, but equally might not be.

You use 3200kw a year so around £500? Skewed probably to after dark and in the winter. So let's say you actually offset half with the solar (unlikely as mentioned) that is £250 a year, then let's say the export tariff works as expected and you get £150 perhaps. That is £400 a year or so. In the first twenty years you will probably need a maintenance fix and a new inverter. But perhaps inflation will help cancel out that and in twenty years you will get your £8000 back....

You have a gas combi boiler so do you actually have a water cylinder to put an immersion heater in to use with a solar iboost? I'm guessing not. So probably not a practical avenue to explore. If this is right and the installer did not understand this then how well have they understood your needs?

So not a good investment. But nor are most sports cars, if it makes you happy to buy as a vanity project why not.

However I would suggest two alternatives;

1, Look for a more basic £4000 4kw solar install. Less exciting but I suspect in practice you will still get 3800kw a year and 90% of the benefit. You will still have far too much in the summer and far too little in the winter, but at least you will have paid much less.

2, Invest the money wisely for 5-10 years and hope it will then buy the mythical £100/kw battery invention, 10kw of super-efficient dirt cheap panels with built in micro inverters that talk to your smart home for you.

Oh and always remember draught proofing, the best investment.

But what do I know, back of envelope guessing. Best of luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback