PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options

I bought 3x Hayfield super chunky in shade 0950 (Quite a bright red) and 2x Stylecraft special chunky in graphite and 2x Hayfield chunky tweed in shade 0185 (red) which I am mixing together. I’m using my Cygnet seriously chunky in Slate grey with it.
    I’m attempting to crochet a granny square blanket for the settee but have seriously misjudged how much wool I am going to need.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am doing 4x rows of each colour and then repeating as many times as I need. Managed just over 2x rows of the cygnet and have used up a ball already. Think my coupons are going to get used up on wool. :o

GMAT

Have you seen the bit up the top of the page where it says in the Coupons List that coupons are needed for natural fibres, but only half the coupons for artificial fibres...?

You may find you have some more arithmetic to play with :D
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Have you seen the bit up the top of the page where it says in the Coupons List that coupons are needed for natural fibres, but only half the coupons for artificial fibres...?

You may find you have some more arithmetic to play with :D

Thanks Laura

Have just re-read and Pip does clarify that acrylic is half the coupons.

I’m presuming most of what I have is acrylic but the tweed one does state it has wool in it.

So 100g acrylic is 1 coupon?

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    CraftyLisaHampshire, I’ve been meaning to ask: why are you charging yourself coupons for stuff that’s already in your stash? You don’t have to do that; the ration was all about purchasing new items.

- Pip

I charge myself the coupons because the fabric comes to me in a sewing subscription box I get every month so I am buying it new just not with something specific in mind because I don't know what is in it. I also am trying to use up my fabric stash. I only charge myself coupons when I actually make clothes for myself with the fabric mind. When I am making soft furnishings or things for other people I don't count it then.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • wit40iwtwan
    wit40iwtwan Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2020 at 4:45PM
    Options
    I would like to join this please - I have to do another read of the rules etc but I think this will help me with my current challenge of not buying clothes in 2020 (very ambitious!)...

Already used 13 coupons! 2 x bra's, 1 x new bikini and 1 dress.
    Well lets see - I dip in and out of MSE all the time but I still come back - have done since 2007!!! 2023 - Fashion on a ration - 5/66 2023 - 1p Chalenge - £18 in Monzo pot (cannot do pennies so am rounding up)2023 - Frugal Living - Budget still to be finalised - ambition is to cut my food budget by 20% by shopping smarter and meal planning 2023 - January - NSD 15/20 February - NSD 3/15
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have purchased a pair of Craghoppers walking trousers, second hand of course. I have been wearing a pair of running tights for walking, they fall down at the waist when I run but fit fine for walking but they are just now warm enough, I plan to wear them under the new trousers in winter and in summer just the trousers. A freezing day Saturday on the top of Haworth moor prompted this. 6 coupons I believe.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I'm spending three days staying with a friend being a House Elf, and on top of her excellent company, her nice husband's marvellous cooking, her adorable mother and her baking, I am being showered with "well, I'm not going to use that - take it if you like" from her massive stocks of fabric and yarn...! I'm doing well at not taking everything that's offered, but it's jolly useful stuff, mostly! And only a small bag, in total, which I'm quite pleased with... and no coupons, but lots of encouragement to make more of my own things!
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Morning all

Just checking in with a £20 and 2 points spend on another pair of leggings. The 14s were too small to be comfortable, but I decided (although I really didn't like it) to order the 16s as they were so nice. That's enough leggings now - I have three pairs in total, but they are so versatile. I'm still looking for long tops to wear with them, so I'm wearing out my current 3 tops cos I'm using them for home and work. I did rescue a long sweater from my CS bags which I felt had been worn a bit too much, but I plan to get a nice scarf to dress it up a bit. My next spend really needs to be those chelsea boots, but at 5 coupons and probably quite a few ££s I want to make a trip to the city to find the right ones - comfort and look.

I had a look round a couple of CSs yesterday - coats are around £10-£20 and all the ones I found were a bit worn/dated. I'll keep looking but I think I would rather get a new one when I've lost a bit of weight (!!). I did have a look in Debs Sale as well and there were two contenders - but both weren't good enough in fit or style - and definitely not worth the points.

Thanks for this thread you are saving me from building up my wardrobe of doom with clothing clutter of not quite wearable clothes again. :eek::rotfl::D

57 vouchers left, 9 vouchers spent
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive got a new (to me) leaf pattern boxy shirt, 2 linen striped shirts and a black floral kimono on their way to me via ebay. Im struggling to find some trousers or jeans that I like, I want shape but not form fitting.... I will continue in my search.

Resisting the yarn so far too which is good for me.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Options
    I had a real win today. A good friend of mine has been having a mass sort out of her clothes and handbags etc and when I came into work today (we work together) she said she wanted to give me first dibs on the bags before she took them to the charity shop. I am now the proud owner of a brown leather mulberry handbag in very good condition. She did suggest I take the other three as well but I showed restraint as I do not want to end up with loads of stuff again. She also gave me a couple of large purses to try as mine is starting to go. A second hand bag so no points.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Wow, what a collection of successes! Well done, everyone!

It's especially nice that it isn't all about grim self-denial - "I've not bought myself anything nice for weeks now, aren't I doing well?" :D

It's about real joy in finding things which are just what we want, and especially when we find them coupon-free! :D<3

I've just bought some vintage very fine crochet cotton on eBay in gorgeous pastel colours, and I intend to use them when I make some simple cap-sleeve blouses for summer, making narrow crochet lace to edge the cap-sleeves or use as trim on a folded-up edge, edging the collar maybe, or even a very very narrow edging either side of the buttonhole band - just various ways to make something fairly plain feel very special!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback