Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 19, 2:12 PM
    • 1,488Posts
    • 10,899Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 19, 2:12 PM
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 19 at 2:12 PM
    Welcome to the 2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge. The 2019 Challenge was very successful and can be found here. This is the third year of the Challenge, which is based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations. Each member of the Challenge gets 66 coupons to spend during the year.

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt Ė 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes Ė 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair Ė 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide Ė 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn Ė 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 yard of fabric equals 1 modern metre. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers.
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
      [*]Hats arenít mentioned either, so if you purchase one, letís assume it is for 2 coupons.
    • Stockings/tights. At 2 coupons a pair, stockings are really expensive in coupon-terms. Because of your connection to the armed forces, you have been given 6 special vouchers for those 4-pair value packs, which will not require coupons to redeem.

- Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 01-01-2020 at 6:32 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 0/66 coupons spent
Page 6
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 18th Jan 20, 1:05 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Maddiemay, I hope the Rheumatologist can help. Also, itís worth trying a knitting belt as Laura suggested. (Laura, your offer is very kind.). Another technique, which Iíve seen recommended, is Portuguese style knitting. I donít know much about it but, IIRC, they either run their yarn around the back of their neck or use a pin on their shoulder to tension it. (Iíve never seen it IRL.)

Iíve changed my mind about ripping out my jumper (Blanche Too, by Susan Crawford). I tried it on - decided the darts are in the right place - then took a good look at the stitches involved in the darts. I will still have to over-sew the stitches, regardless of whether I do new-style or old-style darts. Thatís saved me about 4 inches of re-knitting.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Jan 20, 1:51 PM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Laura- that is really kind of you, yes Shrewsbury would be fine for me. I will do some research and get back to you at some stage.

The hand problem is:-
    Left hand (I am right handed and that one is not too problematical) swelling and acute pain in thumb joint - probably the RA, and pain and swelling in the back of hand to wrist joint which radiates around to the back of the wrist joint. Holding anything at all is tricky, think this might be tendinitis or something Many personal and household things are affected. I did look out the book rest and am seeking a CS lap tray to accommodate it and help with my joy of reading in bed or in my armchair.

Pip - thank you for your recs too, I did look at the Portugese method before when you kindly mentioned it. Always good not to have rip out knitting

Sunny and frosty here in my bit of Shropshire, watching all the small birds feeding, hope everyone else is seeing some sun too.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 18th Jan 20, 2:30 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura- that is really kind of you, yes Shrewsbury would be fine for me. I will do some research and get back to you at some stage.

The hand problem is:-
    Left hand (I am right handed and that one is not too problematical) swelling and acute pain in thumb joint - probably the RA, and pain and swelling in the back of hand to wrist joint which radiates around to the back of the wrist joint. Holding anything at all is tricky, think this might be tendinitis or something Many personal and household things are affected. I did look out the book rest and am seeking a CS lap tray to accommodate it and help with my joy of reading in bed or in my armchair.

Pip - thank you for your recs too, I did look at the Portugese method before when you kindly mentioned it. Always good not to have rip out knitting

Sunny and frosty here in my bit of Shropshire, watching all the small birds feeding, hope everyone else is seeing some sun too.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    That's a date then! Shrewsbury wth a knitting belt sometime in the next few months...

It's entirely possibly to knit with a knitting belt without using your left hand at all - it would be slow at first but trust me, you speed up surprisingly rapidly with these things. You may need your left hand to change needles or psso or something, but I reckon you can probably do things like hats, socks, armwarmers, simple fingerless mitts, etc., with only one hand and the knitting belt.

Lovely and sunny here too, and for those of you with good memories, not only is my partner's son now so much recovered that he's even back at work a few hours a week in a carefully-managed phased return, but as if that wasn't enough loveliness he and I have also finally met (it was Very Complicated for the first 5 years I was with his father!), and this evening my chap, and his son, and I are all going for a meal, which is just really really lovely. I always just hoped his son wouldn't hate me, so to get on with him this well and be bearhugged on parting is just incredibly lovely!
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
    • ConstantKathyPatient38
    • By ConstantKathyPatient38 18th Jan 20, 3:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ConstantKathyPatient38
    That's lovely Laura. You seem such a kind person, you deserve to have things go well. Enjoy the meal and - no doubt - more bearhugs to come.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Jan 20, 3:32 PM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Laura great news about your chap's son and his recovery.

As a step person (never thought of myself as a step mom) I totally "get you" regarding getting on well and the hugs. Hub's 2 are grown up and now the eldest 2 grands are grown up too, they are all wonderful.
    xx
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th Jan 20, 4:18 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 46,378 Thanks
    dolly84
    Laura - I am counting the coupon value for second hand clothes as I only buy second hand and it has all got a bit crazy, I wanted to do this and apply the coupon value to my purchases to try and keep them down this year.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 18th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura - I am counting the coupon value for second hand clothes as I only buy second hand and it has all got a bit crazy, I wanted to do this and apply the coupon value to my purchases to try and keep them down this year.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Oh, of course, you did tell us!

Yes, I have this problem with second-hand books - even though they're not a problem in terms of spending, because 10p in a charity shop is 10p, it becomes a problem when you can't move for falling over collapsed towers of books! I've had to become *much* more discerning since moving to this little flat... I hope you find this challenge helpful with the CS clothing!
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 18th Jan 20, 7:27 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Laura, that is fantastic news! I am so glad a) that he likes you and b) that heís far enough on-the-mend to be on a phased return to work.

- Pip

• diminua
    • By diminua 20th Jan 20, 8:30 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    diminua
    A top bought - so another 5 coupons from my carried over 7. I'm not sure if it was a necessary buy or not - I'll definitely wear it and it was half price and in one of my colours (brown) but I don't know that I really needed it. I think there was a psychological element - the weather was cold today and the top looked like it would make a cosy base layer.

I like it well enough not to want to bring it back though, so that's 68 coupons left.
    • diminua
    • By diminua 20th Jan 20, 8:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    diminua
    Oh, of course, you did tell us!

Yes, I have this problem with second-hand books - even though they're not a problem in terms of spending, because 10p in a charity shop is 10p, it becomes a problem when you can't move for falling over collapsed towers of books! I've had to become *much* more discerning since moving to this little flat... I hope you find this challenge helpful with the CS clothing!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    I have this as well. Books shelved behind other books, despite having access to good libraries near both home and work. I do keep a bookswap bag on the go though, and try not to let them sneak back on the shelves.
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 20th Jan 20, 8:39 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    What was the yarn you bought?

Also, sadly, youíve miscalculated. Two ounces of yarn (50g) costs coupon so 700g is a spend of 14, not 12 coupons. Sorry.

I am currently debating whether to rip back the jumper that Iím knitting, to below where I started the bust darts and to do them again, slightly higher up.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Thanks Pip, must have been having a bad day as I worked it out that 100g is 2 coupons so 2x7 =14 but I obviously got it into my head that 2x7 =12. Thanks for correcting and I will amend my signature.

I bought 3x Hayfield super chunky in shade 0950 (Quite a bright red) and 2x Stylecraft special chunky in graphite and 2x Hayfield chunky tweed in shade 0185 (red) which I am mixing together. Iím using my Cygnet seriously chunky in Slate grey with it.
    Iím attempting to crochet a granny square blanket for the settee but have seriously misjudged how much wool I am going to need.
    I am doing 4x rows of each colour and then repeating as many times as I need. Managed just over 2x rows of the cygnet and have used up a ball already. Think my coupons are going to get used up on wool.

Glad to hear that you didnít rip back your jumper. I would like to start following patterns at some stage but will get my blankets done first.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board and hoping to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Grocery challenge £103.91/£200
    2020 Fashion on the Ration 14/66
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 0/24
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Jan 20, 9:02 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere

I bought 3x Hayfield super chunky in shade 0950 (Quite a bright red) and 2x Stylecraft special chunky in graphite and 2x Hayfield chunky tweed in shade 0185 (red) which I am mixing together. Iím using my Cygnet seriously chunky in Slate grey with it.
    Iím attempting to crochet a granny square blanket for the settee but have seriously misjudged how much wool I am going to need.
    I am doing 4x rows of each colour and then repeating as many times as I need. Managed just over 2x rows of the cygnet and have used up a ball already. Think my coupons are going to get used up on wool.

GMAT
    Originally posted by getmyacttogether2016
    Have you seen the bit up the top of the page where it says in the Coupons List that coupons are needed for natural fibres, but only half the coupons for artificial fibres...?

You may find you have some more arithmetic to play with
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 20th Jan 20, 9:24 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Have you seen the bit up the top of the page where it says in the Coupons List that coupons are needed for natural fibres, but only half the coupons for artificial fibres...?

You may find you have some more arithmetic to play with
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Thanks Laura

Have just re-read and Pip does clarify that acrylic is half the coupons.

I’m presuming most of what I have is acrylic but the tweed one does state it has wool in it.

So 100g acrylic is 1 coupon?

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board and hoping to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Grocery challenge £103.91/£200
    2020 Fashion on the Ration 14/66
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 0/24
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 21st Jan 20, 2:03 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    CraftyLisaHampshire, Iíve been meaning to ask: why are you charging yourself coupons for stuff thatís already in your stash? You donít have to do that; the ration was all about purchasing new items.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane

I charge myself the coupons because the fabric comes to me in a sewing subscription box I get every month so I am buying it new just not with something specific in mind because I don't know what is in it. I also am trying to use up my fabric stash. I only charge myself coupons when I actually make clothes for myself with the fabric mind. When I am making soft furnishings or things for other people I don't count it then.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    • wit40iwtwan
    • By wit40iwtwan 21st Jan 20, 3:01 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 3,267 Thanks
    wit40iwtwan
    I would like to join this please - I have to do another read of the rules etc but I think this will help me with my current challenge of not buying clothes in 2020 (very ambitious!)...

Already used 13 coupons! 2 x bra's, 1 x new bikini and 1 dress.
    Last edited by wit40iwtwan; 21-01-2020 at 3:45 PM.
    Debt Free (except for Mortgage) for all of 2019!

Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 13 spent of 66
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 22nd Jan 20, 8:03 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 46,378 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have purchased a pair of Craghoppers walking trousers, second hand of course. I have been wearing a pair of running tights for walking, they fall down at the waist when I run but fit fine for walking but they are just now warm enough, I plan to wear them under the new trousers in winter and in summer just the trousers. A freezing day Saturday on the top of Haworth moor prompted this. 6 coupons I believe.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 23rd Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm spending three days staying with a friend being a House Elf, and on top of her excellent company, her nice husband's marvellous cooking, her adorable mother and her baking, I am being showered with "well, I'm not going to use that - take it if you like" from her massive stocks of fabric and yarn...! I'm doing well at not taking everything that's offered, but it's jolly useful stuff, mostly! And only a small bag, in total, which I'm quite pleased with... and no coupons, but lots of encouragement to make more of my own things!
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Jan 20, 11:57 AM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Morning all

Just checking in with a £20 and 2 points spend on another pair of leggings. The 14s were too small to be comfortable, but I decided (although I really didn't like it) to order the 16s as they were so nice. That's enough leggings now - I have three pairs in total, but they are so versatile. I'm still looking for long tops to wear with them, so I'm wearing out my current 3 tops cos I'm using them for home and work. I did rescue a long sweater from my CS bags which I felt had been worn a bit too much, but I plan to get a nice scarf to dress it up a bit. My next spend really needs to be those chelsea boots, but at 5 coupons and probably quite a few ££s I want to make a trip to the city to find the right ones - comfort and look.

I had a look round a couple of CSs yesterday - coats are around £10-£20 and all the ones I found were a bit worn/dated. I'll keep looking but I think I would rather get a new one when I've lost a bit of weight (!!). I did have a look in Debs Sale as well and there were two contenders - but both weren't good enough in fit or style - and definitely not worth the points.

Thanks for this thread you are saving me from building up my wardrobe of doom with clothing clutter of not quite wearable clothes again.

57 vouchers left, 9 vouchers spent
    Homeowner wannabe by May 2020 :: Last few student loan payments made by April 2020
    Grocery Challenge £348.46/£300 : : Save £1/day for Xmas 2020 £57.39/£366 saved
    Fashion on the Ration (£42.60 spent 57/66 vouchers left) :: 5 pleasures/day
    Frugally Fab, Flylady & Sewing Thread Lurker & Exercise regime
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

589Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter