Career change

Options
Ok here goes. Since graduating from university over 15 years ago I’ve focused on a career in marketing as it’s what I enjoyed. Initially it started off really well, as I enjoyed what I was doing.

A redundancy, a few contract and permanent roles later I’ve come to the conclusion that marketing isn’t for me. I’ve been in a role for a while now but finally quit due to losing my passion for communications and personal reasons.

I’m now looking to change careers as my mental wellbeing and family life is much more important. Does anybody have any experience of making the transition into another field? I’m a more project management and strategy type of person so I’m looking in those type of areas. I guess the beauty of marketing is that there’s lots of transferable skills that I can demonstrate.

Did anybody have to take a pay cut? What are your thoughts on career change, is this common? Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, took a big one a few years ago, with one hell of a pay cut too.

Didn't actually work out for me. It was infuriating working several levels below where I'd been before. I felt useless, which was a foreign feeling to me, and honestly couldn't live on the salary I was on (I'd thought I could, but when it came to it I couldn't).

Still, I wouldn't say I lost anything. About a year later something else came along which was back in my old field (and at my old level!) and I went back. So I'd still say go for it, there's a lot of fear about changing jobs etc, but really there's not much to lose.

I guess this has crossed you mind, but a lot of marketing departments have project managers! So maybe you don't really need a complete change, just a re-positioning?
  • Liberal123
    Options
    I’m now looking to flex my wings, maybe even do some short courses in other areas. I’m glad I did take this step as I was suffering mentally and I’m feeling so much better now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure