Employment pension advice

Options
Financial stuff is not my strong-point....
My employment pension of 29 years is about to start. I no longer work for them & am called a deferred member.

I'm not employed & not paying income tax.

There are several options offered in the statement, varying from,

Tax-free lump sum of £30k & an annual pension of £10k

Tax-free lump sum of £59k & an annual pension of £9k.

Tax-free lump sum of £64k & a split annual pension of fixed & inflation-linked.

I'm inclined to take the £59k but no idea how I'd invest it.....probably £50k.... suggestions welcome.

However, part of the reason for posting is that in starting to read Martin Lewis' Pension Guide it says....

"Yet you're saying if I want to, I can just take out all the cash?If you choose to yes, but remember only 25% of it is tax-free. The rest is taxed at your current income tax rate. "

Am I misunderstanding something?
The reading I've done of the retirement guide doesn't mention the annual pension is income-taxed, but I've been advised that it will be.

Advice please?

Comments

• bolwin1
    bolwin1 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your annual pension is taxable, but if it is your only source of income, it will be lower than your personal allowance, so no tax will be payable by you.

If you have other sources of income (including the state pension) that push your total income over the annual allowance (currently £11,850 p.a.), then you'll start paying tax at 20% of anything over the £11,850.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GDBD59 wrote: »

"Yet you're saying if I want to, I can just take out all the cash?If you choose to yes, but remember only 25% of it is tax-free. The rest is taxed at your current income tax rate. "

Am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, but it's not surprising you are given the hopeless complexity of pensions! You were in a defined benefit (aka final salary) scheme, and when you start to draw your benefits from the scheme have the option of exchanging part of your pension for a tax free lump sum. The amount of tax free cash you can take is determined by the rules of the particular scheme, subject to the maximum allowed by legislation.

Martin's article refers to a defined contribution pension, where there is an individual pot of money available rather than a predetermined pension.
  • GDBD59
    GDBD59 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Ok....understood....thanks. Now to work out what to do with the lump sum....
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Whichever option you take , it would be better to have the remaining pension all index linked . Otherwise over the years inflation will eat into your spending power.
    Regarding how to invest the £50K , I suggest you go to the 'Savings & Investment ' forum ( just go to the box at the top of the page and change from the Pensions forum )
    Then scroll through the threads and you will see that almost every day somebody asks 'I have £50K/£100K etc and do not know what to do with it '
    If you read the replies it should give you some ideas and there are links to simple investment guides to help you learn the basics.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are the annual pensions offered with the £30K and £59K lump sums also index-linked? Index linking is absolutely necessary and very valuable, unless you have a terminal illness and expect to die within a couple of years.

If not, then you might need to consider the £64K lump sum, as it is the only one that provides some protection against inflation.

The investment decision with the lump sum very much depends on the duration you expect to want to spend it over. If you want to spend it over the next seven years, keep it as cash in savings accounts. If you want to spend it over a longer period, invest it in a Stocks & Shares (S&S) ISA or possibly a SIPP. You can get tax relief on money you put into a SIPP, and because the SIPP is a Defined Contribution (DC) pension, you will be able to take 25% of the value out tax-free, the rest will be added to you pension income. If you invest in n S&S ISA, you don't get tax relief, but you don't pay tax on the money when you take it out, so the S&S ISA should result in you paying less tax overall. The one issue with a S&S ISA is that you can only put in £20K per annum, so you will need to load the ISA over a number of years. If you took the 30K lump sum, you could pay £20K in this tax year, and the remaining £10K in on 6th April when the new tax year starts. You might also decide to save the £10K in an instant access savings account to use for emergencies, e.g. when househole appliances break down or maintenance needs doing on your house.

Hope this helps
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this a public sector pension?

Are you male or female?

Were you a member of this scheme between 1978 and 1997?

If so, what does your statement of deferred benefits on leaving say about pre 88 GMP/post 88 GMP/excess?

How does your pension increase in payment?

I am assuming that you are under state pension age - if so, have you obtained a new state statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • GDBD59
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks....some reading required....

Yes the pension is index-linked. There are other permutations, depending on how much I take out in a lump sum as to some of the annual pension being index linked, & some of it not linked.

The basic tax-free sum is £30k. I don't need £30k to use for the forseable, but it sounds like I have to take it out.
    It looks like I can specify any figure from 30 - £64k.

I assumed that I could invest it in some form that would beat inflation, ie take out more than the £30k & make more lucrative than index-linking would give.

Health is ok, but accidents happen, better to have it out than the smaller amount paid after death, is my thinking.

Tell me if I'm wrong though.
  • GDBD59
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Is this a public sector pension?

Private company... big one.

Are you male or female?
    Male

Were you a member of this scheme between 1978 and 1997?
    Yes, from 1980

If so, what does your statement of deferred benefits on leaving say about pre 88 GMP/post 88 GMP/excess?
    Nothing I've seen.

How does your pension increase in payment?
    Inflation linked

I am assuming that you are under state pension age - if so, have you obtained a new state statement?
    No.... 6 years away.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask the administrator about the pre 88 GMP/post 88 GMP/excess - read your scheme booklet.

See

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2014/08/18/what-is-a-gmp/

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2012/07/24/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

Presumably you are aged 60.

Your scheme has no obligation to pay increases on your pre 88 GMP or anything above 3% on post 88 GMP after you reach GMP age (65).

Check your state pension situation.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GDBD59 wrote: »
    I assumed that I could invest it in some form that would beat inflation, ie take out more than the £30k & make more lucrative than index-linking would give.

How much can you afford to lose? Having a guaranteed level of index linked pension is a valuable source of retirement income. While in employment, capital can be replenished. With years of retirement ahead. Carefull thought needs to be given. Though ultimately a personal choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure