P60s - big problem if I lost it?

Options
Hi,

The wife has been having a mass clearout and she's shredded all my old payslips going back many years (which is fine).

However I suspect she's also destroyed my P60s of which I did have most of them going back to when I started employment.

I know it's the kind of thing people like to hoard but is this the end of the world? My current employer of the last 3 years sends everything electronically so I have all payslips and P60s since then.

All I can think of it is may be useful to work out NI contributions but surely HMRC have this on file somewhere? I can't un-shred them obviously but just wondered whether I should try to find the rest of them or just let her get on with it.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've shredded everyone ive received (or burnt) once ive checked it is correct.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Options
    I just normally kept the latest one, burnt all the rest after thay year. They are of no use to you
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I on the other hand have both payslips and P60s going back to at least 2003. For the P60 in particular if you need it the only place to get it is from your own files, so destroying it is quite risky. Some people scan and keep them on their computer, which is a good alternative if you are short of space (although how short of space you have to be to not keep a few pieces of paper I don't know).
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    But what do you need it for? I salvaged a few from the past 15 years but around half are gone (I have all of the last 5 years).

I'm not clear what possible use it is and in terms of NI contributions I'm sure HMRC have a record of that if I really needed it.
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    You don!!!8217;t need it.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I keep everything for at least 6 years and I have had cause to use them. A few years ago my husband's notice of coding was adjusted to reflect an estimated underpayment, which should therefore have resolved itself on submission of his self assessment. It didnt, HMRC screwed it up and doubled the error. Without the numerous notices of coding, copies of returns P11Ds and P60s it would have been nigh on impossible to walk them through the problem. Even then it took several months to resolve and receive the refund. It's a handful of paperwork and I'm glad I had it all filed away. Currently trying to get them to acknowledge the change in his company car in January - more fun because it means his 17/18 P11D is incorrect, as is his current tax code.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Goldust wrote: »
    But what do you need it for?

If you search this board and the Cutting Tax one for P60 I think it's likely that a significant proportion of threads will be from people who need a historic P60 but no longer have it and are asking what they can do about it - and the answer is "not much", because it can't be reissued.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been told by someone working in pensions that it's a good idea to keep your p60s for life. They can be very useful if you ever need to prove when you were employed and by who. I know people who have used them to track down pensions they've had with old employers, prove they were employed for a length of time to ensure they get the correct final salary pension (which is based on years of employment), disprove claims they weren't in the employers scheme by showing the pension deductions on their p60, etc.

There may be other reasons to keep them in addition to this. Perhaps to prove you have made NI contributions to qualify for a state pension should the HMRC have incorrect data or lose yiur records.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use the Government Gateway to log into your personal tax accout (e.g to provide bank details for any tax rebate) then in the event of needing a password reset you may be asked to provide details from a recent P60 to verify your identity.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If you search this board and the Cutting Tax one for P60 I think it's likely that a significant proportion of threads will be from people who need a historic P60 but no longer have it and are asking what they can do about it - and the answer is "not much", because it can't be reissued.

Unlike P45 forms, P60 forms can be reissued (marked as copies).

But it requires the employer to have kept the records for the relevant year and they may make a charge for their costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure