PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone here vegan?

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    It wont make a difference to animal welfare. One person is not going to change a thing.

Ever heard of the "hundredth monkey" effect.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 12 October 2017 at 5:20PM
    Options
    Ah well, sadly this is the end of my vegan lifestyle for the time being. Going into hospital for hip replacement soon, so to check about best thing to do I consulted a nutritional therapist.

She told me that, post op, it's no time to be vegan, as in order to recuperate as fast as possible, my body will need extra proteins and it would be very complicated to get enough (without overdosing on carbs and putting on weight) while in hospital and on my return home when I won't be able to shop and cook for myself for a while.

I feel bad in a way but also need to balance it all with the amount of stress that it would create me to stick to my ethical position. I am going to forgive myself for the time being and stick to mostly vegetarian (with the odd tin of mackerel thrown in) for simplicity, until I'm back on my feet and good to go (vegan, again, maybe).

While I appreciate you don't want black lash and this isn't what it is, I don't understand why anyone would think that being vegan while recovering from an operation would mean lack of nutrition.
    Athletes are often vegan while training and they need nutritional meals which include lots of protein for repairing muscles. If many athletes are vegan on season because that means they are at their best surely vegan for operation recovery is best?
    Quinoa, tofu, beans etc for protein. Also carbs are not the enemy when it comes to weight gain. So many people get this wrong. Just eat the whole grain versions as they are best or you.
    Batch cook and have meals ready in the freezer. So much better for you and cheap to. A slow cooker and/or rice/multi cooker. Buy ready prepared or frozen vegetables etc if needed.

After all veganism is quoted as being healthy for all stages of life, including pregnancy and while breast feeding which are taxing on the body.
    There isn't a chance that any doctor would ever get me to stop being vegan and I have a disability that may one day mean operation to live if it gets that bad.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • BearPearSun
    Options
    Caterina try talking to a dietitian rather than a nutritionist. If you're in the UK in an NHS hospital there should be one that you can speak to.

A carefully planned vegan diet is definitely an option for an appropriate pre and post surgery diet. It does of course depend on your home situation as to whether you/others can make the food.
    32 year old woman with a husband and 3 cats...

November 2017: -£26423
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you Doom_And_Gloom and BearPearSun, I don't take it as backlash at all. I have accepted that for the time being I'm going to make life as easy as I can (the op is not my only health issue) and that this is only a phase.

'Re talking to a dietician, the NHS is still in the prehistory when it comes to nutrition, they still advocate the outdated food pyramid which is now considered by many, doctors included, to put too much emphasis on low fat and excess carbs.

I have done a lot of research on carbs and also know how my body reacts (I've lived in it for 60 years). I don't consider carbs the enemy, I eat a lot of carbs in plant form and now small portions of whole grains.

Whenever there's a vegan option I'll always go for it but not if it's pasta or stodge. I'm just less strict and will be so when in hospital.

Had the pre med and it looks like it might be a few weeks before the op so I'm still eating mostly plant based. I don't say vegan because it's a lifestyle and I'm still very far from being there.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    You've only got to look at the change in availability of vegetarian and vegan food over the last few years to see that people can make a difference.
    Definitely. You've only got to eat out abroad to know this country has a wider selection available than others, even if Vegan seems to be hit and miss.

I did a thread on the holiday board when we returned from Orlando this year asking about where to go next year to suit Vegetarian daughter's diet. I'd found eating out with her this year very difficult, something I wasn't expecting. The worst example I have is when she ordered an Egg Mcmuffin from an all day breakfast menu at McDs (yes, I know but teens and free wifi...) sat at the table, opened it up and discovered it had a slice of ham on it!
  • BearPearSun
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    The worst example I have is when she ordered an Egg Mcmuffin from an all day breakfast menu at McDs (yes, I know but teens and free wifi...) sat at the table, opened it up and discovered it had a slice of ham on it!

Oh dear! I hope that she didn't go hungry, if it were me I would have just picked off the bits that I didn't want and carried on!

Out of interest, what were the places that were recommended to you? Our local Chinese supermarket is great for vegan alternatives but I've been told that it would be harder to find these products in china!
    32 year old woman with a husband and 3 cats...

November 2017: -£26423
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2017 at 8:55AM
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Definitely. You've only got to eat out abroad to know this country has a wider selection available than others, even if Vegan seems to be hit and miss.

I did a thread on the holiday board when we returned from Orlando this year asking about where to go next year to suit Vegetarian daughter's diet. I'd found eating out with her this year very difficult, something I wasn't expecting. The worst example I have is when she ordered an Egg Mcmuffin from an all day breakfast menu at McDs (yes, I know but teens and free wifi...) sat at the table, opened it up and discovered it had a slice of ham on it!

I've had an equivalent situation pretty recently when eating lunch out here - I fancied a "special" and saw several up on the board and all the others were obviously meat and therefore took the view that the one that wasnt obviously meat must be a solitary little vegetarian thing one could choose. So I chose it - and part way through realised it had meat in it.

I gave the cafe/restaurant rather a strongly-worded comment about not even as much as offering one vegetarian "specials" option and that that was the least they could do for customers.:cool:

Yep...I didnt ask. Why would I? - as meat-eaters arent made to "ask" if something is suitable for them - as it automatically is. Vegetarians (and vegans) should have the same courtesy extended to us - ie of not having to "ask" (shades of "Beg your pardon...ever so 'umbly Gov - but would you be ever so kind and do something suitable for me. I know you don't want to and it will be ever so inconvenient in your opinion". Yeh...right...
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay! I found the vegans! :D

As a family (DH, 1yo DS and me), we've been vegan since January. DH has slip ups when he works abroad because he often has to go France for meetings, where generally they don't understand what he can't have, so gets given cheese sandwiches...

People often say that my DS is a good advert for veganism, because he looks so "healthy" (read, chunky) but I like battling those stereotypes. I'm also 3 months pregnant, which I'm sure people have an opinion about with me staying vegan. My midwife is perfectly happy though, and tbh even if she wasn't it is tough!
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    Yep...I didnt ask. Why would I? - as meat-eaters arent made to "ask" if something is suitable for them - as it automatically is. Vegetarians (and vegans) should have the same courtesy extended to us - ie of not having to "ask" (shades of "Beg your pardon...ever so 'umbly Gov - but would you be ever so kind and do something suitable for me. I know you don't want to and it will be ever so inconvenient in your opinion". Yeh...right...

Bit of an over-reaction.

Most people who have to/want to avoid certain foodstuffs get used to asking about what's in their food without making a drama out of it.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear! I hope that she didn't go hungry, if it were me I would have just picked off the bits that I didn't want and carried on!

Out of interest, what were the places that were recommended to you? Our local Chinese supermarket is great for vegan alternatives but I've been told that it would be harder to find these products in china!
    She didn't go hungry, I took it back and was met with a rather abrupt 'So what did you want on it' Ermmm egg like it states and add a slice of cheese if you like :p Ironically if she'd actually gone to the 2 cafes on either side of the Maccys which I told her I'd be eating at, once I'd sorted her food, she'd have found some veggie options (not sure about Vegan ones!) This was at Clearwater beach.

She ended up eating Cheese and Tomato pizza at most places as that was the only option for her.

This is the thread I did below with suggestions from others. I think the largest thing I've taken from that, is to ask at the Independent eating places to make or omit something, as they have more flexibility than chains. I noticed today having breakfast at my local cafe that they had no veggie option for a full breakfast, but if DD had been with us, I could have probably asked for a plate made of various non meat items.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5701042
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport