Going back to past employer and references

Options
Asking on behalf of a friend. They are going back to work for their former employer (the one they were at prior to their current job), but they are asking for 2 references. Can he put down the HR dept of his last employer (the one offering him the new job) as a reference?

Technically I don’t see why not. I mean they will have recent valid info and he left on good terms, but I wasn’t sure if the HR dept would effectively accept themselves as a reference for the job they are offering.....

Any thoughts?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Ask them? Nobody here can tell you.
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was just wondering of anyone here maybe worked in HR and knew the general stance that most companies adopt. Obviously each one could have its own policies, but thought there was no harm in asking here.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    benten69 wrote: »
    I was just wondering of anyone here maybe worked in HR and knew the general stance that most companies adopt. Obviously each one could have its own policies, but thought there was no harm in asking here.

Sangie's response still applies.

Even if someone here was in the know about a "general stance", it would not necessarily be applicable to your situation.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    benten69 wrote: »
    You just really need to ask them. They may not even retain your records. That all friends on policy.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask them (as you should ask referees first anyway!). Anecdotally, I did it for my current position. I was asked for references to cover three years and I'd only left the company two years prior.
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    Yes there is nothing wrong. They need work history to check and records
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills