Xbox 360 repairs

Options
A few months my Xbox died (disc reading problem). Sent it away to Microsoft, paying best part of £70.

Got a console back. But not my original console although it had the same serial marking. I asked Microsoft to comment... No response.

Just wondering anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    How many times have you sent your Xbox for repair?

It's Microsoft's policy that if a console has been sent for repair several times that they replace the console instead.

It may also be that their tech folk deemed the repair to be unnecessarily complex and/or expensive compared with supplying you with a new console. For instance, they may have discovered that the disc read error was caused by a malfunctioning connector that has caused damage to other components.

What is the warranty status on the console you have received back? Has it now got a one year warranty?
  • sja75
    sja75 Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    Just the once my console has being repaired.

Was given a three month warranty. Can I check its warranty status somehow?

Thanks for the reply.
  • Tropez
    Options
    If you visit this link and follow the instructions under "How do I find out if my console is under warranty?" you should be able to check on its warranty status.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/repair/warranty-faq#83a38d6d261f481d944a58992eb35eae
  • sja75
    Options
    Thanks.

Warranty expired a month ago and it states no repair history, strange
  • Tropez
    Options
    I'm not sure if there's a delay in those details updating as I haven't had to use it myself.

How long has it been since you asked Microsoft to comment on the replaced Xbox?
  • sja75
    Options
    As so as I received 'my' console back.
  • Tropez
    Options
    sja75 wrote: »
    As so as I received 'my' console back.

I have known Microsoft take up to a week to respond to queries but I don't know how recently you received your console back.

I have since found the relevant passage in the FAQ for repairs.

"Do you repair my console?

Your console will either be repaired or if a repair is not possible, your console will be replaced. Replaced consoles are covered under the same post-service warranty terms as repaired consoles.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/repair/warranty-faq#c3007023083b473db153846ad02af000

Presumably they did deem it not possible to repair your console (or perhaps, not feasible). You will be covered with a 90 day warranty on this new system they have sent you.

It might be worth pressing them on when the site will update with your new warranty status, just to make sure all the relevant records are accurate.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Is it working ok?

It does say on the site that they may either repair your console or send out a refurbished unit.

Likely to depend on how busy they are, how damaged the console is , whether it was economical to repair for the fixed price..
  • sja75
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    I have known Microsoft take up to a week to respond to queries but I don't know how recently you received your console back.

I have since found the relevant passage in the FAQ for repairs.

"Do you repair my console?

Your console will either be repaired or if a repair is not possible, your console will be replaced. Replaced consoles are covered under the same post-service warranty terms as repaired consoles.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/repair/warranty-faq#c3007023083b473db153846ad02af000

Presumably they did deem it not possible to repair your console (or perhaps, not feasible). You will be covered with a 90 day warranty on this new system they have sent you.

It might be worth pressing them on when the site will update with your new warranty status, just to make sure all the relevant records are accurate.

Will do, thanks.

Front line call staff are great. My case was elevated to HQ. It is HQ staff whom didn't comment regards this 'new console'. Funny thing was I called the front line staff and one told me "they usually just give you a replacement, they have thousands to do so". HQ told me I shouldn't have being advised that.

My repair was four months ago...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport