Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I like the idea of going to the seaside on new year's day Jwil. That could be a nice new tradition. You must have to wrap up warm!

Yes, but it's surprising how often it can be a nice day! We often go to Exmouth, and it's really busy with people out and about.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I think starting new traditions purposefully is hard: they often seem to evolve !

One year OH and I woke up on Xmas morning on our own. I hated it, but we wrapped up warmly, took mince pies and coffee and went for a walk on Christmas Common (how handy we live near enough to do so!), watched the red kites, greeted a load of others doing the same, and really enjoyed ourselves. Back home in time for the family 'invasion' later in the day.

We still have stockings: basically anyone who stays over Christmas night gets one, so I have a couple of 'guest' stockings in stock. My elderly Aunt was thrilled when she discovered this custom. I don't think she'd had a stocking for over 70 years !

Btw, I knew DD1 had got herself a 'keeper' when he arrived for his 1st Christmas with us bearing a huge Santa sack !!

Our longest standing XD tradition is NO TV !!

That sounds like a lovely thing to do on Christmas morning, especially taking mince pies and coffee. I love the idea of your elderly aunt being thrilled with her stocking too :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    It's not interfering to be concerned about a neighbour, and wanting to do more. It shows a kind spirit :happyhear

I know what you mean about 'cluttering up' someone else's diary. Tbh, I really don't know the etiquette of this, as I've only followed 2, and it's awfully tempting to waffle on about one's own life. I personally find the many contributions, whether personally anecdotal or encouraging, of great interest, as well as the daily life of the OP.

Hope everyone is lucky enough to be enjoying the Indian summer and gets much washing done !!!!

You're not cluttering up my diary at all Elizabeth. You always have interesting and thought provoking things to say :)
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Yes, but it's surprising how often it can be a nice day! We often go to Exmouth, and it's really busy with people out and about.

I definitely like the idea. We went to Exmouth on a windy day once and it was like a sandstorm with sand stinging our faces :eek:. That was the summer too :eek:.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Your journey through grief so entirely mirrors my own when I lost my mum, it's uncanny. We always used to go to my mum's on Christmas Eve to pick up/drop off presents. She passed away at the end of August so everything was still raw at Christmas. We just had a quiet Christmas at home that year. Just before Mr SA got I'll we went to the beach on Christmas Day with the dog. It was one of my best Christmas Days ever. I was surprised how busy it was, there was a great atmosphere. We took a picnic and ate it in the car. You need to do something completely different to try to take your mind off the memories but be prepared to be upset, it's only natural. Honestly you will feel better in time xx

Thank you SA, you really do understand how I feel. A picnic on the beach could be a new and different thing to do on Christmas day or New Year's day. Much food for thought.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2018 at 10:51PM
    Options
    I felt more cheerful today and decided not to think about my mum as it makes me sad, but to focus on DH and the DC instead.

At Mr T I only spent £53 which was within my £50 - £60 budget :). That included four chocolate oranges for 75p each, which can be Christmas presents for DH and the DC.

I also got some navy trousers to wear while volunteering for £14, which I was pleased with as I'd been looking for some. The trousers weren't in the food budget of course!

In the afternoon I went to the park with DS1 as it was a warm sunny day. The autumn leaves looked lovely and the walk should help me sleep.

So going out twice and not thinking about my mum helped me to be more cheerful today. Hopefully I can keep it up! Tomorrow I'm volunteering at school in the morning which should be a good distraction for me.

I kept getting messages from DS3 all evening as his laundry saga continues! He has run out of clean clothes :eek:. He needed to put money on an app to pay for the use of the washing machines/dryers. But his bank account is linked to his Paypal account and he'd forgotten his login details for his Paypal. So DH gave him his debit card and Paypal details, but DH's debit card is out of date :mad: (he must have a new card somewhere!). So in the end I gave DS3 the details of my debit card and Paypal login details. Now he has finally managed to put money on the app so he can do his laundry. Rolls eyes. It's unbelievably complicated :mad:.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Well done for getting out in nature. It always helps :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks DIA it really does :).
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    You're not cluttering up my diary at all Elizabeth. You always have interesting and thought provoking things to say :)

What a lovely thing to say - thank you xx
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I got the chocolate oranges too! They are great for little wraps ups, or forgotten presents!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family