Old employer seeking overpaid wages

Options
I recently started a new job (2 weeks in now). I gave in my notice to my former employer that only required 1 weeks notice. I had an email today that I owe them £160.

The sum I owe them seems odd as I worked right to the end of the month. I do not have any sick pay deductions to include and I have not taken more holiday than I have accrued.

I am going to email them for clarification of the overpaid amount. I would like to know if I do not pay are they likely to get a debt recovery company to claim a relatively small amount?

TIA.

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    32Bitter wrote: »
    I would like to know if I do not pay are they likely to get a debt recovery company to claim a relatively small amount?

Possibly, however it's somewhat irrelevant. Either you owe the money (in which case pay it back) or you don't. Asking for clarification of what this money is for, as you've done, is the right step. Wait until they come back to you and see what it is.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Debt collection companies have no teeth.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Debt collection companies have no teeth.

Well, maybe not... But I can't see any reason why the company would be unable to take OP to court and obtain a CCJ, which can lead to other more effective recovery methods and leave a black mark on your credit rating.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    32Bitter wrote: »
    I recently started a new job (2 weeks in now). I gave in my notice to my former employer that only required 1 weeks notice. I had an email today that I owe them £160.

The sum I owe them seems odd as I worked right to the end of the month. I do not have any sick pay deductions to include and I have not taken more holiday than I have accrued.

I am going to email them for clarification of the overpaid amount. I would like to know if I do not pay are they likely to get a debt recovery company to claim a relatively small amount?

TIA.
    Probably unlikely but really does depend on the company

Though don't expect a reference in the future. If it is found you do owe it then just pay it back and move on with life
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you acknowledge that you owe the money but will find it difficult to pay it all in one go, ask if they will accept in, say, two or three instalments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure