Expect longer time for mortgage approved in Christmas?

Hi,
I am first time buyer with my partner. We have seeing a property on auction that we would like to bid on. The completion date is 14 January 2020. the auction is on 4th Dec.
I am aware of the risks taken buying at an auction, let alone being 1st time buyers.
My concern is that being Christmas in between, do you think we would have enough time to complete by 14 Jan?

I do not want to sound naive, but I do think that this property would be a good deal for us, but not sure if we would be making the completion date deadline and if we don't, could potentially loose the property and the 10% diposit left on the auction day.

Any thoughts or experience on Christmas in between the completion deadline?

Thank you very much for your help in advance. Just freaking out a bit here....:rotfl:

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    What has your solicitor said?

It is tight, but normally when you buy at auction there is a 28 days to complete, it sounds like you have been given an extra 11 days (ish) which probably allows for solicitors being closed over christmas/new year.

If you are using a mortgage, get the valuation done in advance and see if they can complete in time. You also need to see what your solicitors say and make sure it is noted on their system when you need to complete by.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Auctions are best suited to those buying for cash. 20 working days is a very tight timescale.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Assuming it's a "normal" auction, you should be doing all your due diligence in advance of the auction date anyway, so there shouldn't normally be too much for the solicitors to worry about between then and completion - the main risk will be the mortgage offer not getting processed in time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure