Death in service payment

Options
Hi everyone. Im just needing some info, my father died about 6 month ago and he was in the lgps scheme. He left me as the beneficiary. I have signed and posted the form informing them of my bank details. Im just wondering how long the process takes to receive the money?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 June 2018 at 9:31PM
    Options
    Hi everyone. Im just needing some info, my father died about 6 month ago and he was in the lgps scheme. He left me as the beneficiary. I have signed and posted the form informing them of my bank details. Im just wondering how long the process takes to receive the money?

So sorry for your loss.

May I just clarify that he was still working for a local authority (death in service) rather than a pensioner in receipt of a LGPS pension? Uncontested death grants are normally paid within a week or so of receipt of the death certificate and application form, so the fact that your claim has been delayed indicates that it may not be straightforward.

Can you confirm if he was married, how old he was and - if he was in receipt of his pension rather than a 'death in service' - when he retired/started to draw his pension.
  • sugarplum88
    Options
    Thankyou. He was still employed when he passed and he wasnt married.
  • sugarplum88
    Options
    And he was 49. Was a shock to us all.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Silvertabby is the expert here, but when I saw your father's age I had to add a word of sympathy. What a horrible shock. Condolences.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh, so sorry to hear that sugarplum.
    The first thing I'd be doing is making sure they have actually received the form.
  • Silvertabby
    edited 12 June 2018 at 9:33AM
    Options
    49 was no age. My sympathies to you all.

As to the LGPS, the death in service grant is a tax free lump sum of 3 times your father's salary. Assuming that you are the only named beneficiary, and that you sent an original copy of your father's death certificate (plus a copy of your own birth certificate, if requested) with the claim form you mentioned, then I can't understand why the process is taking this long. I would ring them today to ask what the problem is.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Options
    Very sorry to hear of your loss -I lost my father when he was 47.
    You say he wasn't married but what of your mother ? Is it possible that she has claimed as a dependent??
  • Silvertabby
    edited 12 June 2018 at 12:42PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear of your loss -I lost my father when he was 47.
    You say he wasn't married but what of your mother ? Is it possible that she has claimed as a dependent??

If they were divorced, then she wouldn't be able to claim a widow's pension regardless of her financial situation. The lump sum, whilst paid 'at the discretion of the trustees', is almost always paid in accordance with the nomination form.

I'm sure Sugarplum would have mentioned if he was living with a partner, but good point.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options

I can imagine - condolences.

Just one thing, you do not indicate when you contacted the Administrator of the scheme - you haven't actually been waiting six months for a reply?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure