Cheque bounced 8 years ago, is a reissue possible?

Options
2»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KaMaHu wrote: »
    Yes, of course asking the company is the first step. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or had experience of recovering similar sums.

How do you know that another cheque was subsequently issued?
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, of course asking the company is the first step. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or had experience of recovering similar sums.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

KaMaHu

I don't think many people would be stupid enough to let £25K languish - and anyway, what would their experience add to that of your friend? Why he can't just contact the insurer himself is beyond me, unless he is incapacitated.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm.

Friend gets cheque.
    Friend loses cheque
    Friend get gets second cheque issued and cashes it.
    8 years later, or sometime in that period, friend finds first cheque
    Friend asks KaMaHu to get first cheque re-issued (again), as wind-up or ......

K
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm.

Friend gets cheque.
    Friend loses cheque
    Friend get gets second cheque issued and cashes it.
    8 years later, or sometime in that period, friend finds first cheque
    Friend asks KaMaHu to get first cheque re-issued (again), as wind-up or ......

K

What second cheque? The life policy was cashed in and the insurer issued a cheque, which the policyholder failed to present and still has in his possession. No mention of another cheque that I can see. The 6-year expiry rule is irrelevant - he still hasn't had the proceeds of the policy.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I recently had a cheque reissuedhaving not cashed the previous one seven years ago.
    That was the year both my parents died and the cheque was forless than £5 but it shows the possibility.
  • KaMaHu
    KaMaHu Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, that sort of gives me hope he can still get his money. To all the people who are deriding my friend for not acting sooner, you don't know the circumstances. There can be all sorts of reasons why a person can't deal with something like a big cheque bouncing, and making a moral judgement isn't really the point. Also, this 'second cheque' scenario, that would be pretty easy for the issuer to cheque and it would be a very obvious and stupid fraud.
    I just wondered about the legality as in can the issuer say 'we gave you a cheque, on our side your file is closed' or as you point out can my friend say 'but you still owe me that money'. We shall see when I contact the issuer.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We shall see when I contact the issuer.

They will not communicate with you in respect of someone else's account.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There can be all sorts of reasons why a person can't deal with something like a big cheque bouncing,

I think the comments are directed more at the delay in presenting the cheque when it was originally issued. £25K is a pretty large amount. You say your friend had just cashed in the policy, so it's hard to understand why they would claim the policy but not pay in the cheque - and as for 'dealing with something like a big cheque bouncing' all they had to do was ask the insurer to reissue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure