Positive Balance: Focused on Budgeting

Options

Comments

• Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Positivebalalnce:hello::hello:

Ive just read through your diary and subscribed to cheer you on from the sidelines!!:T:T

Sorry to hear about your purse, that sucks but new cards will be there shortly and you can get back to your awesome debt busting!:j:j

youve done amazingly well so far, Im really looking forward to seeing you kick this debts butt and hearing about the shenanigans along the way. The MNBA card will soon come lovely, probably at the same time as the others. Can I ask if you wont be using the MNBA card for the 0% will you then be cancelling it, or will you split your balance over the two cards? Have one of them got 0% on purchases, I only ask as perhaps you could use this to put your house insurance on (nothing else mind) It make take some of the pressure off. I would then take care of the minimum balances until you get your emergency £500 saved. Then chuck everything ive got at the smaller one (covering the minimums) , I found for me when split into 2, I got a small win claring the first and that kept me going..and then move to the biggy. I was also thinking (and just a suggestion again but could when you tackle the cards could you pay over in small amounts (directly- like a small payment a day) rather than save up for card over payment? I only suggest this as when I did that I found id dip into my savings:o:)...

I love the envelope system, I way over spent with food last month..i think ill try that too this month..

Also conrats on getting the cc down under £3500:j:j:j You freaking rock!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend lovely...keep up the great work!!! You've got this!!:j:j:j

Shelbi x
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 June 2018 at 10:30AM
    Options
    Shelbi wrote: »
    Hi Positivebalalnce:hello::hello:

Hellloooooooooo Shelbi! :wave:
    Ive just read through your diary and subscribed to cheer you on from the sidelines!!:T:T

Much appreciated - thank you very much! :)
    youve done amazingly well so far, Im really looking forward to seeing you kick this debts butt and hearing about the shenanigans along the way.

Thanks. To be fair, I was planning on being a lot further along but ended up having a large £600 unexpected expense in January and then realising that there would be no way I could wiggle out of going for a holiday in May. but hopefully I'm getting there.
    The MNBA card will soon come lovely, probably at the same time as the others. Can I ask if you wont be using the MNBA card for the 0% will you then be cancelling it, or will you split your balance over the two cards?

If I can get the outstanding balance down to £2945 or less I just won't use it. I doubt I'll cancel it straight away as I think it would look really weird to open then close a CC straight away on my credit file, but I will leave it somewhere very safe in my house or destroy it (perhaps not the latter as there's 0% purchases for 3 months so in case the boiler packs in before I get my emergency fund up and running....)

I can guarantee I won't be doing any frivolous spending on it, though. I want the debt gone, CC first. I think it's fair to say I really truly had my LBM last year and I just can't and won't do this anymore. :idea:
    Have one of them got 0% on purchases, I only ask as perhaps you could use this to put your house insurance on (nothing else mind) It make take some of the pressure off. I would then take care of the minimum balances until you get your emergency £500 saved. Then chuck everything ive got at the smaller one (covering the minimums) , I found for me when split into 2, I got a small win claring the first and that kept me going..and then move to the biggy. I was also thinking (and just a suggestion again but could when you tackle the cards could you pay over in small amounts (directly- like a small payment a day) rather than save up for card over payment? I only suggest this as when I did that I found id dip into my savings:o:)...

I like your thinking! :) I think I should be OK for the insurance by the time I've finished my game of financial tetris. I will then start my emergency fund and once I have hit £500 start paying off the CC with gusto. If I manage to only move over £2945 that would mean that I would have to pay off £490/month to pay it off by the end of the year which seems quite a large target each month given my wages, but I'll definitely give it a go....even if I get there a few months into next year, what have I got to loose except the debt? And there will be no more 'OMG will I get a good balance transfer deal?' pressure to deal with, which will take a load off mentally.
    I love the envelope system, I way over spent with food last month..i think ill try that too this month..

Honestly, I've bought barely anything this month and appear to have spent a fortune already this month! :eek: I went into a local supermarket at the weekend and they had lots of expensive soft fruits reduced as they were on the last day. I bought the lot and froze them when I got home. I'm going to turn the fruit into jam as presents for people during the year, but it will cost me a bit to buy prosecco to make it with. I think I might have to take this out of the present budget. I REALLY need to get this food budget thing nailed...this is one of my biggest weaknesses![/QUOTE]

P.S. MBNA card has just arrived as have many login passwords for my various online banking apps. Phew! Still waiting for the new Barclaycard so I can do the balance transfer though!
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • PositiveBalance
    edited 5 June 2018 at 9:03AM
    Options
    This month's CC minimum payment ha now gone out bringing the balance down to £3326.64.

I'm very tempted to round it down to an even number once I get a new DC! :rotfl:
  • PositiveBalance
    edited 6 June 2018 at 9:10AM
    Options
    So, I've come home to find new cards delivered to me (phew!) so have just done the balance transfer!

That's £2945 balance transferred at 0% with a 0% balance transfer fee until August 2020. :j

It's not all good news, though: I called my bank to ask why I can't seem to log in with the new details I received yesterday and they say it's because I've locked myself out again and they need to send me new details.

WHAT THE ACTUAL....

I'll be gone soon...seriously...how can their security be *that* sensitive?!

Turns out my minimum payment will be £29.45 so it looks like I will be aiming at paying £411.09 next month to cover the new minimum payment plus the remaining balance on the old CC. That's no small order, but I will be over the moon if I pull it off! :cool:

Also, something that made me think just after I applied for the new cards: given that I already had a £5000 credit limit on my existing card, I was approved for an additional £5100 of credit in a matter of minutes. Given that my basic annual salary is £18500, that's a scary amount of credit. :eek:

Thankfully, I plan to use it carefully. To put myself in a position where I never need it again. :rotfl:
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    Balance transfer is in the middle of being processed and I can see it as a minus balance on my existing card. :D

Balances:

Existing card: £381. 64
    New card: £2945.00

Better get to work on those balances, then! :p
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I think it's fair to say I've had a rubbish few days.

My mobile has been stolen. Thankfully, I have insurance so I've only had to pay a £30 excess to pay it back.

I'm also suffering from a terrible case of The Needs.

You know when you want something so badly you don't WANT it any more - you NEED it?!

There's a gadget I have always wanted to buy for my house. It's not cheap, but would be extremely useful for doing multiple things. I made the (rare) mistake of looking at Martin's email and looking on Tesco Direct's closing down sale and they have it for sale about £62 less than I've ever seen it for sale, anywhere. And now I NEED it. :(

I can't justify it, but this has been weighing on my mind all week.

I'm trying to be sensible about it, but I'm failing.

If I buy it, it would cost me £187.50, which is huge and unbudgeted.

I NEEDS the precious!
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    So.. I started this last night then fell asleep. Story of my life!

I have not yet bought the Most Desired Thing. Embarrassingly, a large part of reason is probably that it is sold out. It took the choice away from me. Doesn't say much about my will power, does it?!

So I've decided: once I have paid off the CC entirely I am allowed to buy the Most Desired Thing as my reward for doing so, before moving on to the remaining loan. If that's not inspiration, I don't know what is!

I've had to pay £30 excess to get a new mobile. It's now up and running, thankfully. Annoyingly, I keeps notes on what I have spent on it so I've struggled the past few days to track my spending as well as I should. I'm having to reload all my financial apps so I can figure out where I am up to.

As a result of all of this and a nasty group of thugs who hang around another public transport terminus I frequent, I'm going to give some self-defense classes a go. If I like them it will set be back £28 - £35 a month depending on how many weeks are in the month. Annoying, but what price on safety?

Anyway, gotta dash. Work calls etc.
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Hun, :wave:

Sorry to hear about your phone, that sucks..I think self defense classes are a great idea. There's no price on safety it costs what it costs, though I would check groupon to see if they have any deals on near you, may make a saving (fingers crossed)...I love the idea of treating yourself to your hearts desire once the CC entirely paid off, you can do it!!

Hope you have a fab Friday!! & work flies by :beer:

Shelbi x
    NSD November 2/30
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    I'm livid! I've written two fairly lengthy posts and my computer has messed up and eaten them! :mad:

So...updates...last night I find out that I will be unexpectedly receiving a very welcome guest next month. I thought it would be for about a week or so, but tonight I find out that it will be for an indeterminate amount of time which I would guess to be a month, minimum.

As I said, this guest is highly welcome, but this is seriously unexpected and my budget for next month is going to be tight enough as I will have to pay out £411ish to pay off the remainder of my existing CC and the minimum payment on the BT so that it is all paid off before the interest starts to hit the balance. And now I'm going to have to pay up to £200 to transport said guest as part of an agreement made a few years ago.

Talk about an :eek: situation, money-wise!

I will enjoy having said guest to stay, but naturally the food bill will go up as well a bit, so it's going to be tight. Possibly 'break the elastic' tight! :eek:

Other things to contend with: I'll have to get a TV license as guest likes to watch TV (I don't normally have enough time to watch much TV so I don't have one. I can't ask them to go without again, though, as it wasn't nice for them last time they came.) I have been considering a fund for these types of expenses for a while, so I'll have to make it a reality for the future so I don't get caught the same way again.

I'm of to bed...I need to be in work to earn my pennies as early as possible! :eek: :rotfl: :o
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Positivebalance

Just thought id pop over *virtual coffee in hand*:coffee:

Darn I hate it when the computer eats the posts, I like to thing they are just to good for posting and get snapped up ;)

Lovely to have a house guest, I dont get many of those but I was thinking maybe switch to minimum payments to ensure your covered for the increased costs (food, tv licence) and not stressed. Youll be able to enjoy said houseguests company more- Id throw in batch cooking and meal planning it may give the elastic a bit more stretch :)

If you have a laptop can you get netflix free membership for a month and then cut it off when they're gone- will give them plenty to watch and be cheaper then getting into the paying for tv licence in the long run- unless bbc is a must of course. Anyway I hope all is well with you and you have a fab weekend..:beer:

Shelbi x
    NSD November 2/30
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income