Single salary household question

Options
Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right section!

Due to the crazy costs of childcare, my partner and I have decided that one of us is going to give up work as it will work out better financially.

My question is: What will that mean for the income tax and national insurance payments for the parent that isn't working anymore? Will we need to notify anyone?

Thank you in advance for the advice :)

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    None whatsoever. We have this daft and hypocritical system of "independant taxation" so income tax and NI is the same, regardless of how many people the earnings support.

But benefits/tax credits are not independant, so if you get tax credits or UC you could get more if one of you gives up work, or you could become eligible.

The one who gives up work should be the one who claims child benefit, as they get NI credits towards the state pension.
  • sleepysocks
    Options
    Thank you so much for the super quick reply zagfles! Sorry if I am being a bit blonde, but does that mean the parent that doesn't work will still have to pay the income tax, if if they don't have a salary?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Thank you so much for the super quick reply zagfles! Sorry if I am being a bit blonde, but does that mean the parent that doesn't work will still have to pay the income tax, if if they don't have a salary?
    Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were asking about the parent who is still working. Their tax and NI will stay the same.

The parent who isn't working will have no income so no income tax or NI etc. They might be due a refund of tax paid earlier in the year. Very important that the non-earner claims the child benefit to get NI credits.
  • sleepysocks
    Options
    Fab tip about the child benefit! I'll definitely get on to that...feel much better now - thank you ever so much for your time :)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the non-working person can transfer £1000 of their tax-free allowance to the working person if that person is a spouse/civil partner.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, you may be able to tweak your tax to your benefit. See here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sleepysocks
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    I think the non-working person can transfer £1000 of their tax-free allowance to the working person if that person is a spouse/civil partner.

That's handy to know! I'll certainly look into this - thank you :)
  • sleepysocks
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Actually, you may be able to tweak your tax to your benefit. See here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance

Wow I had no idea! Certainly food for thought..thank you for sharing.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also, put any savings into the name of the non-taxpayer, so you avoid tax on the interest.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »

That depends on the earnings of the working spouse. I'm a SAHM and my husband earns too much so my tax free allowance goes unused, though I would guess this wouldn't apply to the OP given the brief outline of their situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure