NHS pay on progression to higher band under new NHS pay deal

Hi

I'm hoping that someone can help advise me as I'm quite confused as to what happens to salary on promotion to a higher band under the new NHS pay deal.

I'm currently top of Band 6 on spine point 29, my appraisal is due in July.

I have recently taken a new role, within another trust with my salary to be paid at Band 7 salary.

Reading the conditions of AfC it seems that I will be moved onto the first incremental point that leads to an increase in pay.

Looking at the current pay bands it seems that Band 7 salary at the same spine point 29 is £500 higher than band 6. Meaning I would be effectively on the same spine point and receive a slight increase in salary. In my new role I won't be working unsociable hours but currently I recieve approximately an additional £200 (gross) monthly due to unsociable hours payments. So effectively if I remain on the same spine point I would be taking a decrease in salary.

Obviously the move to a Band 7 post is fantastic for my career but sadly may not be worth it due to a decrease in salary.

I wonder if someone could clarify if I have calculated my new salary correctly.

Thanks in advance to anyone who understands the principles behind AfC and the new pay points.

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is correct. You do however get the benefit of not working unsociable hours.

This is not uncommon especially when you move points that triggers an increase in pension contribution. The benefit is more long term.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    I know several people in the NHS that say when they've moved into a management 9-5 style job they lost money despite going up a band - however they seem to prefer having free evenings etc and say they work life balance is better
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Depending on your shifts and whether you were Annex 2 or 5 for unsocial hours, moving to a 9-5 role can make a big difference in the short term. However, the difference in take home pay diminishes as you move up the spine points. There are now less spine points to reach the maximum pay in band (?reduced from 8 to 4?) but the thing to be aware of, progression up the spine points is no longer automatic on time served but is dependent on completing mandatory training, acceptable level of sick leave, and meeting objectives.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Miss_J
    Miss_J Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all for your responses.

If I remain on the same spine point with an initial £500 pay Increase would I receive the uplift awarded through the pay deal in April 2019?

Also I read that if progression to a higher band only results in 1 higher increment then the incremental date stays the same. Does that mean that when I reach my increment date in July I would recieve another move up to spine point 30?

Having worked in the private sector in the past, I've always found the NHS confusing in comparison.

Thanks again
  • It is fairly normal to go up to the next point when you get another job, as an 'incentive', even when you go up a band (at least, this has happened to me, twice).

Your increment date is still a while, it is worth discussing with HR, or if they don't help, asking your new line manager. It's quite a reasonable ask, you're not asking to go to the top point of the band. Just ask nicely and it'll be fine!
  • Miss_J said:
    Thanks all for your responses.

If I remain on the same spine point with an initial £500 pay Increase would I receive the uplift awarded through the pay deal in April 2019?

Also I read that if progression to a higher band only results in 1 higher increment then the incremental date stays the same. Does that mean that when I reach my increment date in July I would recieve another move up to spine point 30?

Having worked in the private sector in the past, I've always found the NHS confusing in comparison.

Thanks again
    Can I ask where you read 'that if progression to a higher band only results in 1 higher increment then the incremental date stays the same'? I thought this was the case too, but I can't find it in a policy anywhere for England.

I've just been promoted to Band 7 and my incremental date has been moved back by 11 months! it means I will receive a very small pay rise now and won't get another until April 2023, whereas if my incremental date stayed the same I would receive one May 2022 - big difference! if the incremental date must move be moved then I am wondering whether to ask to be put on the next pay point up, but I can't find that possibility in a policy either :-(
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 April 2021 at 12:37PM
    Don’t forget that you also get the potential future earnings of up to 43/44k at top of B7

Sometimes promotions aren’t always about the short term gains - think long term 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback