Options
2»

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JonSnow8 wrote: »
    I do welcome any suggestions or further criticism. My research revolves around solar energy and how economically beneficial it is to the user (obviously it is economically beneficial) but my research revolves around the extent as to which it is, especially in a location with unpredictable weather like the UK. I wanted to pick something straight forward and I believe solar energy isn't the hardest concept to grasp.
    thanks.

Maybe you could look at how much difference cloud cover makes; how does UKgeneration compare to sunnier climates?
    There is a thread where people give their daily readings, sunny vs cloudy days.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Maybe you could look at how much difference cloud cover makes; how does UKgeneration compare to sunnier climates?
    There is a thread where people give their daily readings, sunny vs cloudy days.
    Hi

There's far more data than need to conduct the necessary research readily available on the PVOutput site (& others!), but that doesn't mean that the thesis can be conducted without first considering what needs to be researched and what questions need to be addressed to make that research valid & robust enough to base a third year dissertation on ... I'd suggest that far more effort needs to be expended on developing a set of questions which could provide a dataset which can be used to support thesis conclusions without leaving the basis of the research open to question, which the current questionnaire almost inevitably will ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 January 2019 at 1:43PM
    Options
    1. How long have you been using a solar panel?

Less than 1 year

1 year

2 years

3 years

4 years √

5 years

6 years or more

2. How much were the capital costs?
    Roughly £5k however there were other associated costs such as needing to do roof repairs prior to install, electrical work (both of which would have not made sense to delay so affected cash flow), extra power diverter to attempt to maximise the benefit (hot water immersion heat) and purchase of electric greenhouse heaters for same. Aim being to get as much benefit as posssible.

3. Do solar panels save you money on your bills?

Yes:√
    No:

If yes, how much on average per month. Compared to before install about a tenner a month of electricity and because gas is so much cheaper about £2....but that is just import purchase. I also benefit from using more from the 'free' self generated power so have found my actual electrical energy use has risen above pre install levels and gas is 2000kwh less and now only one 13kg of butane instead of two for the greenhouse. Some of the savings are down to greater personal control, extra insulation and more efficient boiler so difficult to be answered accurately.

4. In hindsight, was getting solar panels worth it?
    Definately. Not a huge financial benefit, have had loss of use of the capital outlay, not yet reached payback time, have not been able to invest the outlay but great for reducing import demand (now only two thirds of what it was electrically) and export about 50% of my generation for others so an overall environmental benefit.
    I would not have a similar view at present day FIT and export levels

5. Would you recommend solar panels to others considering using them?

Yes:√
    and

No:√

Explain why:
    You need to weigh up the costs vs benefits. If the benefits to one as an individual do not make financial sense (they can and always have been tending to marginal and risks are there that they could be a cost!) , they are a long term proposition and who can predict what changes might come about, or if debt has to finance purchase or if you cannot take a long term view (moving house, getting on in years) then perhaps not a good option. Roof rental schemes look quite risky.

6. Did solar panels meet your saving expectations?

Yes:√ generation, savings and payback time all on track.....faults willing!
    No:

If no, how comes:

Hopefully the extra comments will give food for thought.

"(obviously it is economically beneficial) " preconceived ideas?
    Not necessarily true. Payments now a pittance, there are still risks, could do better investing in the long term, lack of access to cash after purchase, some purchasers have paid well over the odds, some supplier/installer warranties now worthless.....need I go on?

Storage of energy is the big issue to maximise benefits!!
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 January 2019 at 12:06AM
    Options
    A couple of thoughts.

1. You need to understand the typical production curves of solar PV. The question about 'average monthly savings' is not straightforward. For example in Dec on a good day I may only get 1kWh on a bad day 0 (which happens all too often). At peak times of year on a good sunny day that isn't too hot then around 20kWh may be generated.

2. Most PVers (sorry if I insult anyone) can't really determine whether PV really is worth it. To a degree (depending on what FIT tariff you got) it can be a leap of faith and partly justifed by knowing you are doing the right thing. Almost every PVer talks in 'payback' terminology which is pretty meaningless. To really determine value for money we all should have (and I guess none of did!) a discounted cashflow calculation which also allowed for inflation, the increasing FIT payments and some (nigh impossible) assessment of future electricity prices.
    3. A further interesting complication to the VFM calculation is those cases where PVer's are using surplus electricity to run ASHPs or run an immersion heater for hot water.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family